BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S PERMIT/LICENSE
- Must have a New York Driver's License.
- Certify that you are in agreement with state motor carrier safety regulations. See Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration or call (212) 645-5550 (General Assistance) for more information. Also, read the form MV445 for more details.
- Provide a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate. You can obtain one by having a licensed medical professional fill out the appropriate Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness reports. The medical examiner should provide you with a Medical Examiner's Certificate.
- Pledge that the license you hold has not been revoked or suspended in New York or any other State.
- Provide your Social security number.
- Satisfy the requirements under Section 1.5 of the CDL Manual, if applying for a Bus Driver License.
STEPS TO APPLY FOR A CDL PERMIT/LICENSE
- You must have a Basic New York Driver's License.
- Fill out the CDL application form and hand in in-person to a DMV office. For more information see Instruction Permit section below.
- Pay a $10.00 fee for your permit.
- Pass the CDL knowledge exams. See the CDL Manual for the required information. The exam can be taken at any DMV location.
- Pass vision screening test.
- There is no mandatory requirement that you take a Commercial driver's education program specifically for commercial motor vehicles but opting to enroll in such a program will help you to perform well in your knowledge exam.
- Take road test at your local DMV office. You can schedule an appointment by calling (518) 402-2100.
- Pay license and endorsement fees.
In order to be eligible for a New York CDL, you must first obtain a CDL instruction permit. First, you must fill out the CDL application form
. Next, pay the $10.00 permit fee. Lastly, pass the CDL general knowledge exam and vision screening test. New York Instruction Permits expire in 1 year.
An original New York Commercial Driver's License will be valid for 5 years. The cost varies from $75-90 for a standard CDL license. A temporary CDL is issued initially which is valid for 90 days. The permanent CDL is sent through mail.
The following is a list of endorsements you can get on your CDL:
- Hazardous Material (Class H).
- Tank Vehicles (Class N).
- Passenger-Carrying Vehicle (Class P).
- School Bus (Class S).
- Towing a Double or Triple Trailer (Class T).
FEDERAL GUIDELINES FOR INTERSTATE DRIVERS
The following is a list of federal requirements for interstate drivers.