BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S PERMIT/LICENSE
- Must have a New York Driver's License.
- Certify that you are in agreement with state motor carrier safety regulations. See Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration or call (212) 645-5550 (General Assistance) for more information. Also, read the form MV445 for more details.
- Provide a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate. You can obtain one by having a licensed medical professional fill out the appropriate Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness reports. The medical examiner should provide you with a Medical Examiner's Certificate.
- Pledge that the license you hold has not been revoked or suspended in New York or any other State.
- Provide your Social security number.
- Satisfy the requirements under Section 1.5 of the CDL Manual, if applying for a Bus Driver License.
STEPS TO APPLY FOR A CDL PERMIT/LICENSE
- You must have a Basic New York Driver's License.
- Fill out the CDL application form and hand in in-person to a DMV office. For more information see Instruction Permit section below.
- Pay a $10.00 fee for your permit.
- Pass the CDL knowledge exams. See the CDL Manual for the required information. The exam can be taken at any DMV location.
- Pass vision screening test.
- There is no mandatory requirement that you take a Commercial driver's education program specifically for commercial motor vehicles but opting to enroll in such a program will help you to perform well in your knowledge exam.
- Take road test at your local DMV office. You can schedule an appointment by calling (518) 402-2100.
- Pay license and endorsement fees.
In order to be eligible for a New York CDL, you must first obtain a CDL instruction permit. First, you must fill out the CDL application form
. Next, pay the $10.00 permit fee. Lastly, pass the CDL general knowledge exam and vision screening test. New York Instruction Permits expire in 1 year.
An original New York Commercial Driver's License will be valid for 5 years. The cost varies from $75-90 for a standard CDL license. A temporary CDL is issued initially which is valid for 90 days. The permanent CDL is sent through mail.
The following is a list of endorsements you can get on your CDL:
- Hazardous Material (Class H).
- Tank Vehicles (Class N).
- Passenger-Carrying Vehicle (Class P).
- School Bus (Class S).
- Towing a Double or Triple Trailer (Class T).
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS (HAZMAT)
This is an endorsement required if you are driving a commercial motor vehicle that transports hazardous materials. There are specific background checks and knowledge exams that you need to pass in order to receive this endorsement on your CDL. Please see the HAZMAT endorsement article
for more detailed information.
FEDERAL GUIDELINES FOR INTERSTATE DRIVERS
The following is a list of federal requirements for interstate drivers.