BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S PERMIT/LICENSE
STEPS TO APPLY FOR A CDL PERMIT/LICENSE
- You must meet the requirements for a Washington D.C. Driver's license.
- Visit the local DMV office. Fill out a Voter's Identification or Driver's License form. For more information see Instruction Permit section below.
- Pay a $39.00 fee for your permit.
- Pass the CDL knowledge exams. See the CDL Manual for the required information. The exam can be taken at any DMV location.
- Pass vision screening test.
- Attend and then provide proof that you have taken a Commercial driver's education program specifically for commercial motor vehicles.
- Take road test at specific DMV service location.
- Pay license and endorsement fee.
In order to be eligible for a Washington DC CDL, you must first obtain a CDL instruction permit. You need to show proof of legal presence and US residency. Next, pay the $39.00 learner permit fee. Lastly, pass the CDL general knowledge exam
and vision screening test.
A Washington D.C Commercial Driver's License will be valid for 8 years. The cost is $117.00 for a standard CDL license. Please see a list of fee
for more information.
The following is a list of endorsements you can get on your CDL:
- Hazardous Material (Class H).
- Tank Vehicles (Class N).
- Passenger-Carrying Vehicle (Class P).
- School Bus (Class S).
- Towing a Double or Triple Trailer (Class T).
FEDERAL GUIDELINES FOR INTERSTATE DRIVERS
The following is a list of federal requirements for interstate drivers.