BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S PERMIT/LICENSE
STEPS TO APPLY FOR A CDL PERMIT/LICENSE
- You must meet the requirements for a Georgia Driver's License.
- Fill out the CDL application form and hand in in-person to a local Driver's License Examination Station. The application fee is $35. For more information see Instruction Permit section below.
- Pay a $10.00 fee for your permit.
- Pass the CDL knowledge exams. See the CDL Manual for the required information. The exam can be taken at any Driver License Examination Station. Practice tests for the same can be undertaken before appearing for the exam.
- Pass vision screening test.
- There is no mandatory requirement that you take a Commercial driver's education program specifically for commercial motor vehicles but opting to enroll in such a program will help you to perform well in your knowledge exam.
- Take road test at your local specific Driver's License Examination Stations after taking a prior appointment. You can call (678) 413-8500 to fix an appointment. .
- Pay license and endorsement fees.
In order to be eligible for a Georgia CDL, you must first obtain a CDL instruction permit. First, you must fill out the CDL application form. Then show proof of legal presence
and US residency. Next, pay the $10.00 permit fee. Lastly, pass the CDL general knowledge exam and vision screening test. Georgia Instruction Permits expire in 1 year.
A Georgia Commercial Driver's License will be valid for 5 years. The cost is $20.00 for a standard CDL license. Please see a list of fees
for more information.
The following is a list of endorsements you can get on your CDL:
- Hazardous Material (Class H).
- Tank Vehicles (Class N).
- Passenger-Carrying Vehicle (Class P).
- School Bus (Class S).
- Towing a Double or Triple Trailer (Class T).
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS (HAZMAT)
This is an endorsement required if you are driving a commercial motor vehicle that transports hazardous materials. There are specific background checks and knowledge exams that you need to pass in order to receive this endorsement on your CDL. Please see the HAZMAT endorsement article for more detailed information.
FEDERAL GUIDELINES FOR INTERSTATE DRIVERS
The following is a list of federal requirements for interstate drivers.