BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S PERMIT/LICENSE
STEPS TO APPLY FOR A CDL PERMIT/LICENSE
- You must meet the requirements for a Connecticut driver's license.
- Fill out the CDL application form after requesting for it and hand it in in-person to a DMV office. For more information see Instruction Permit section below.
- Pay a $10.00 fee for your permit.
- Pass the CDL knowledge exams. See the CDL Manual for the required information. The exam can be taken at only the Full Service DMV locations and there is a $16.00 examination fee. The fees for the skills test is $30 and this must also be paid with the knowledge test fees in an accepted mode of payment.
- There is no mandatory requirement that you take a Commercial driver's education program specifically for commercial motor vehicles but opting to enroll in such a program will help you to perform well in your knowledge exam.
- Take a road test at the 28053| Skills Test location at Hartford. This can be undertaken only by appointment through the DMV Phone Center.
- Pay license and endorsement fees.
- Those applicants, who wish to drive a vehicle carrying passengers for hire, have to additionally apply for a 28100|&dmvPNavCtr=|41639| public passenger endorsement.
In order to be eligible for a Connecticut CDL, you must first obtain a CDL instruction permit. First, you must fill out the CDL application form. Then show proof of 41639|41650| legal status and US residency. Next, pay the $10.00 permit fee. Lastly, pass the CDL general knowledge exam Connecticut Instruction Permits are valid for six months and can be renewed once within a two year period.
A Connecticut Commercial Driver's License will be valid for 4 years. The cost is $60.00 or $75 for a standard CDL license. Please see a list of fees for more information.
The following is a list of endorsements you can get on your CDL:
- Hazardous Material (Class H).
- Tank Vehicles (Class N).
- Passenger-Carrying Vehicle (Class P).
- School Bus (Class S).
- Towing a Double or Triple Trailer (Class T).
FEDERAL GUIDELINES FOR INTERSTATE DRIVERS
The following is a list of federal requirements for interstate drivers.