- your advisor for New York DMV issues (not from New York? Select another state)

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save - Exclusive

How to Replace a Vehicle Registration in New York

If your vehicle's registration card, license plate(s) or stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, you may apply for a replacement with the New York Department of Motor Vehicles. While the procedure differs slightly depending on what needs to be replaced, you will usually need to complete the appropriate replacement form.


You can apply for a replacement registration card if your card is lost, stolen, or damaged in person, over the internet, or by mail. Applying online is not an option in the case of stolen registration certificates. When you apply for a duplicate registration certificate, you also get duplicate stickers along with the certificate.

To apply in person, follow these steps:

  1. Visit your local DMV office.
  2. Complete the Vehicle Registration/Title Application.
  3. Bring along proof of identity. If the person applying for the duplicate is not the owner of the vehicle, they should produce a second party registration application.
  4. Bring along proof of insurance of the vehicle.
  5. If your current registration card has been damaged, attach the damaged card to the application.
  6. Pay the duplicate registration fee, currently $3.
An application for a replacement registration card can also be made by mail. Download and complete the Vehicle Registration/Title Application, enclose proper proof of identification as required, and include the fee of $3, and mail to:
NYSDMV Port Jefferson Hospital
3 Roads Plaza
1055 Route 12
Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776    
If the registration certificate was lost and not stolen, then you can also apply online for duplicate registration certificate by following these steps:
  1. Provide details of plate number, vehicle class, and the first three characters of your name as it appears on the original registration card. ZIP code is required for address verification.
  2. Vehicle details include plate number, year of make and model will be verified by the DMV.
  3. Pay the duplicate fee of $3 by credit card.
  4. At the end of the transaction, you will receive an order number with which you can contact the DMV if you do not receive replacements in 2 weeks' time.
A replacement will usually reach you in 2 weeks' time, but if you need one urgently, you should apply in person at the local DMV office.


If one or both of your license plates are lost, stolen, or damaged, you must apply for replacement plate(s) immediately. You can obtain replacement plates only in person at the local DMV office.
  1. Complete the Certificate of Lost License, Permit, or Plates.
  2. Bring the damaged plate(s) with you, if you still have them. If you have lost only one plate, the other one must be returned to the DMV.
  3. Enclose Form 78-B which is the Report of Lost, Stolen, or Confiscated Motor Vehicle Items in case you suspect the plates were stolen.
  4. Provide the Vehicle Identification Number, the year and the make of the vehicle.
  5. Pay the appropriate duplicate replacement fee, currently $15.