How to Replace a Vehicle Registration in Missouri
If your vehicle's registration card, license plate(s) or stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, you may apply for a replacement with the Missouri Motor Vehicles and Driver License Division. While the procedure differs slightly depending on what needs to be replaced, you will usually need to complete the appropriate application for replacement registration card and/or replacement plates.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT REGISTRATION CARD
You can apply for a replacement registration card if your card is lost, stolen, or damaged at the local MVDL office by following these steps:
- Complete the Application for Missouri Title and License (DOR-108) form, indicating that you are applying for a duplicate and the reason for the same.
- If your current registration card has been damaged, attach the damaged card to the application.
- Bring along proof of ownership document.
- The form must be notarized when applying for a duplicate title.
- A lien release also must be submitted if the loan was completed on or after July 1, 2003.
- Pay the duplicate registration fee, currently $12.
An application for a replacement registration card can also be made by mail. When applying by mail, include the completed application and fee, and mail to:
Motor Vehicles Bureau
P.O. Box 100
Jefferson City, MO 65105-0100
If you are out of state, you can call MVDL at (573) 751-4509 to send you a form to your current address. This can then be mailed back with appropriate fees to obtain a replacement registration.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATES
If one or both of your license plates are lost, stolen, or damaged, you must apply for replacement plate(s) immediately. You can obtain replacement plates either in person by visiting your local MVDL office with the required papers and you can get replacement license plates and/or stickers.
- Complete, sign, and notarize the Application for Replacement Plate(s)/Tab(s)/Second Plate, indicating the reason for replacement. This form can be ordered online.
- You can apply for two replacements in one year if the license plates are stolen, and can get new plates for free, with only a processing fee of $3.50. If they were damaged, then you will be required to pay $8.50 per plate and $8.50 per set of stickers. This will be in addition to the processing fee of $3.50.
- If they were stolen, you do not need a police report. You could submit a notarized statement indicating that they were stolen.
- Bring the damaged plate(s) with you, if you still have them.
APPLYING FOR REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATE STICKER(S)
If your vehicle's year sticker is lost, stolen or damaged, you are required to obtain a replacement sticker. You must complete, sign, and notarize the Application for Replacement Plate(s)/Tab(s)/Second Plate, indicating the reason for replacement. This form can be ordered online also. You will be required to pay $8.50 per set of stickers. Submit the application at your local MVDL office.
- Note that you cannot obtain replacement license plates or stickers for vehicles that are not currently registered.
- If you have enquiries related to registration card, license plates, or stickers, contact the Missouri MVDL at (573) 751-4509 for assistance. You can also email your queries.
- See also Vehicle registration and Registration Renewal.
- See also Replacing a Lost Driver's License and Replacing a Lost Title.