If your vehicle's registration card, license plate(s) or stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, you may apply for a replacement with the Montana Motor Vehicles Division. While the procedure differs slightly depending on what needs to be replaced, you will usually need to complete the appropriate application for replacement plates or sticker documents.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT REGISTRATION CARD
You can apply for a replacement registration card if your card is lost, stolen, or damaged in person by visiting your local County Treasurer office by following these steps:
- Complete the appropriate application for duplicate registration.
- Provide either your license number or title as proof of ownership.
- If your current registration card has been damaged, attach the damaged card to the application.
- Pay the duplicate registration fee, currently $2.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATES
If one or both of your license plates
are lost, stolen, or damaged, you must apply for replacement plate(s) immediately. You can obtain replacement plates in person by visiting your local MVD office
- Complete the Application for Duplicate License Plate.
- Bring the damaged plate(s) with you, if you still have them.
- Pay the appropriate duplicate license plate fee, which is $5.
- If your plates were stolen, you must apply at the local County Treasurer's Office.
APPLYING FOR REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATE STICKER(S)
Replacing The Year Sticker
If your vehicle's year sticker is lost, stolen or damaged, you are required to obtain a replacement sticker. Absence of a decal or sticker indicates your vehicle is not registered. You can visit your local County Treasurer's office
, show your registration card, and obtain a new sticker for a fee of $5.