How to Replace a Vehicle Registration in New Jersey
If your vehicle's registration card, license plate(s) or stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, you may apply for a replacement with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission. While the procedure differs slightly depending on what needs to be replaced, you will usually need to complete the appropriate application for replacement registration, plates, or sticker documents.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT REGISTRATION CARD
You can apply for a replacement registration card if your card is lost, stolen, or damaged by following these steps:
- Complete the form BA-49 at any of the local MVC offices.
- Bring along a proof of age and identification, a driver's license for instance.
- Bring along a New Jersey insurance identification card or previous registration receipt.
- If your current registration card has been damaged, attach the damaged card to the application.
- Pay the duplicate registration fee, currently $5 for a duplicate registration.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATESIf one or both of your license plates are lost, stolen, or damaged, you must apply for replacement plate(s) immediately. You can obtain replacement plates either in person or by mail. Applying For Replacement License Plates In Person
- Complete the form BA-1 (Vehicle Registration/Plate Status Form) which is available in your local MVC office. You will be provided a copy of this, with which you can prove you have obtained duplicate license plates.
- Bring the damaged plate(s) with you, if you still have them.
- The MVC can tell you the exact fees.
- Write a note stating the reason you are applying for a duplicate license plate. Ensure you have your name, mailing address, and license plate number mentioned in the statement.
- If the plates were stolen and a police complaint was filed, enclose a copy of that also.
- Contact the MVC for the exact fees.
- Mail the damaged plate(s) along with the application, if you still have them.
Mail the application, plate(s), and police complaint form to:
Motor Vehicle Commission Customary Advocacy Office P.O. Box 403 Trenton, NJ 08666-0403
APPLYING FOR REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATE STICKER(S)
Replacing The Year StickerIf your vehicle's year sticker is lost, stolen or damaged, you are required to obtain a replacement sticker. You must visit your local MVC office with your current license and registration certificate. New tags will be issued at a price of $6 for a regular tag and $11 for special tags.
- Note that you cannot obtain replacement license plates or stickers for vehicles that are not currently registered.
- If you have queries related to your registration card, license plates, or stickers, contact the New Jersey MVC at (609) 292-6500 or toll-free number of (888) 486-3339 for assistance. You can also submit your queries by email.
- See also Vehicle registration and Registration Renewal.
- See also Replacing a Lost Driver's License and Replacing a Lost Title.