How to Replace a Vehicle Registration in Massachusetts
If your vehicle's registration card, license plate(s) or stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, you may apply for a replacement with the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles. The procedure differs slightly depending on what needs to be replaced.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT REGISTRATION CARD
You can apply for a replacement registration card if your card is lost, stolen, or damaged by phone, online, or in person.
Massachusetts has an RMV Express Lane phone service. You can call (617) 351-4500 if you are in the area codes of 339/781/857/617. Alternately, you can also call RMV on (800) 858-3926 from other areas and follow the instructions to apply for a duplicate registration. You should provide your driver license number. The new replacement will be issued in 10 days' time.
You can also apply for a duplicate registration online. You can pay the fee of $15 by credit card.
You can also apply in person for a duplicate registration card at your local RMV office.
- Complete the appropriate application for replacement registration card.
- If your current registration card has been damaged, attach the damaged card to the application.
- Pay the duplicate registration fee, currently $15.
Duplicate Registrations Registry of Motor Vehicles P.O. Box 55891 Boston, MA 02205-5891
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATESIf one or both of your license plates are lost, stolen, or damaged, you must apply for replacement plate(s) immediately. You can obtain replacement plates either in person or by phone. Applying For Replacement License Plates By Phone Call (617) 351-4500 or (800) 858-3926 to apply for replacement tags by phone. Each new tag will cost you $10. Applying For Replacement License Plates In Person
- To apply in person, visit your local RMV office.
- Complete the appropriate application for replacement plates.
- Bring the damaged plate(s) with you, if you still have them.
- Bring your valid Massachusetts driver's license or State identification card.
- If you have lost only one plate, a temporary permit will be issued until you get another one. If you have lost both plates, then you can apply for a new set of plates. You will not get the old number.
- If your current address differs from the one the Massachusetts RMV has on file, you must also provide proof of ownership of the vehicle (a copy of your title or registration card), along with a police report, if your license plates were stolen.
- Pay the appropriate duplicate license plate fee which is currently $10.
- Note that you cannot obtain replacement license plates or stickers for vehicles that are not currently registered.
- If you have any queries related to your replacement registration card, license plates, or stickers, contact the Massachusetts RMV via phone for assistance.
- See also Vehicle registration and Registration Renewal.
- See also Replacing a Lost Driver's License and Replacing a Lost Title.