License Plates in Massachusetts
LOST OR STOLEN LICENSE PLATES
As soon as license plates are lost, stolen or illegible they must be replaced.
In order to replace your plates you must:
- Visit your local RMV office.
- Present proper forms of ID.
- Hand in any remaining license plates.
- Pay the license plate replacement fees of $10.
You may also request replacement plates by calling the RMV at (617) 351-4500 or toll free at (800) 858-3926.
CUSTOM AND PERSONALIZED PLATES
These are the different types of plates in the regular series: Auto, Commercial, Trailer, Motorcycle, Permanent Trailer Identification, Disabled Person, Disabled Veteran, and Foreign Organization (see fees below).
Special Interest Plates
The following is a list of some examples of special interest plates: Fenway Park, Firefighters Memorial, Massachusetts Animal Coalition, Cape Code & Islands, Fish and Wildlife, Basketball Hall of Fame, Olympic Spirit and United We Stand. Click here to access applications forms for requesting the different types of special interest plates. When you have completed the forms, take them to your local RMV office and submit them with the appropriate fees (see below).
- You may also order special interest license plates by completing the Special Plate Online form.
- The Massachusetts RMV also offers special plates exclusively for veterans. The different plates and application process can be accessed here.
The fees for replacing a license plate or getting new plates vary depending on the type of plate you need. For more information on these fees please follow the link for Special Interest Plate Fees and Regular Series Fees.
WHAT TO DO WITH PLATES WHEN BUYING/SELLING A VEHICLE
Under Massachusetts Law it is mandatory to retain license plates from a vehicle when selling. You may return them in person to your local RMV or mail them to:
Registry of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 55889
Boston, MA 02205-5889