How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in Massachusetts
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Complete the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title.
- Once completed, you must have the application form properly notarized.
- If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.
- In case the lost tile is found it must be returned to the Registrar
- In case there was a lien on your vehicle, check with your lien holder if the title is with them, else a letter signed by the lien holder on their letterhead, with the details of the year, make, VIN and all the title owners, must be attached along with the application for the duplicate title.
Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit a $25 duplicate title fee. Checks and money orders should be payable to the Registry of Motor Vehicles. Cash should not be mailed.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your Registry of Motor Vehicles, or mail the package to:
Registry of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 55885
Boston, MA 02205-5885