How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in New Jersey
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Complete the Application for Duplicate Certificate of Ownership form, making sure to indicate on the form that you are applying for a duplicate title.
- Once completed, you must have the application form properly notarized.
- A copy of the current or expired registration and proof of insurance must also be submitted.
- If your title shows a lien holder, you must include a statement from the current/old lien holder with the following points:
- Owners' name.
- Vehicle information - model, year and Vehicle Identification Number.
- A letter stating that the title is not in his/her possession and that the vehicle was paid for in full.
- If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement and include a letter stating the reason for the damage, your name and address, vehicle information including model, year and Vehicle Identification Number.
FEESAlong with your application form and the other materials, you must submit a $25 duplicate title fee for a lost or stolen license and a $20 duplicate title fee for a damaged/mutilated title. Checks and money orders should be payable to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission. Cash is not accepted.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATIONYou can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title, in case of the original being lost or stolen, at your local MVC Agency, or mail the package to:
State of New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission Special Services P.O. Box 017 Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0017You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title, in case of the original being mutilated or damaged, at your local MVC Agency, or mail the package to:
Motor Vehicle Commission Database Correction Unit P.O. Box 141 225 E. State Street Trenton, NJ 08666-0141