You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle. The duplicate title can be applied in person or via mail or online.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Complete the Application for Duplicate Title (44049) form, making sure to indicate on the form that you are applying for a duplicate title.
- If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.
- If your title shows a lienholder, convey the lien information on the application-Item 6. You can also add change in mailing address (if applicable) in the same section.
- You do not need to provide information like selling price, purchase date or odometer reading, it will invalidate the application. Leave these fields blank.
- Be sure to enclose the VIN number, driver license number, vehicle's year and make.
- Ensure that date, applicant's name, social security number, VIN number are duly filled.
- All owners must sign the form.
Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit $9 as duplicate title fee. Checks and money orders should be payable to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your Indiana BMV
, or mail the package to:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
7421 Heathrow Way
Indianapolis IN 46241.
Or duplicate titles can be applied appointment
at my BMV by creating an account and conducting any transaction.