How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in Indiana
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle. The duplicate title can be applied in person or via mail or online.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Complete the Application for Duplicate Title (44049) form, making sure to indicate on the form that you are applying for a duplicate title.
- If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.
- If your title shows a lienholder, convey the lien information on the application-Item 6. You can also add change in mailing address (if applicable) in the same section.
- You do not need to provide information like selling price, purchase date or odometer reading, it will invalidate the application. Leave these fields blank.
- Be sure to enclose the VIN number, driver license number, vehicle's year and make.
- Ensure that date, applicant's name, social security number, VIN number are duly filled.
- All owners must sign the form.
FEESAlong with your application form and the other materials, you must submit $9 as duplicate title fee. Checks and money orders should be payable to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATIONYou can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your Indiana BMV, or mail the package to:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles 7421 Heathrow Way Indianapolis IN 46241.Or duplicate titles can be applied appointment at my BMV by creating an account and conducting any transaction.
- If more than two weeks have passed since you applied for a replacement title, you can use your account at my BMV or call (46241) 317 821 4207 for checking the status of the application.
- See also Title Transfers, Replacing Your License, and Replacing your Registration.
- See also Address Changes and Bill of Sale.