You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Complete the Application for Secured/Duplicate/Reissue Title, form TR-720B, making sure to indicate on the form that you are applying for a duplicate title.
- If the current title is lost or destroyed be sure to fill in the Duplicate Title Certification portion in the form.
- If the current title is mutilated or has become illegible, attach it to the application.
- You need to provide the make and identification number, vehicle year and the current odometer reading.
- If your title shows a lienholder, you must include a completed and notarized Lien Release form (TR-150) with your application. You can either download the form or get it at your local county treasurer's motor vehicle office.
Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit a $10 duplicate title fee. Payment can be made by cash, check, cashiers check or money orders. (Check with your local counties for information on credit and debit cards accepted)
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your local county treasurer's motor vehicle office
, or mail the package to:
Kansas Department of Revenue
Division of Vehicles
915 SW Harrison, Room 159
Topeka, Kansas 66626-0001