How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in Texas
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Complete the Application for a Certified Copy of a Texas Certificate of Title making sure to indicate on the form that you are applying for a duplicate title.
- If your title shows a lien holder, the lien holder must complete the form for a new title.
- If you are unable to apply for the title yourself, then you can provide a Power of Attorney. The person signing the form will need to provide a copy of your photo ID as well as his.
FEESAlong with your application form and the other materials, you must submit a $2.00 duplicate title fee, if you are mailing the form. If applying in person, you will have to pay $5.45. Checks, cashier checks and money orders should be payable to the Texas Department of Transportation.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATIONYou can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title in person or mail them to the Vehicle Titles and Registration Regional Offices closest to you.
- If more than two weeks have passed since you applied for a replacement title and you have not received it yet, you can call the Vehicles Title and Registration helpline at 512- 465-7611to check the status of the application.
- See also Title Transfers, Replacing Your License, and Replacing your Registration.
- See also Address Changes and Bill of Sale.