Online California DMV Vehicle Registration
- Registration Renewals
- Sticker Replacements
- Registration Replacements
- Title Transfers
How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in California
California drivers must have a California car title as proof of ownership of their vehicle. In the event of a lost, damaged or stolen car title, you must apply for a CA car title replacement as soon as possible.
How to Report a Stolen Car Title
The California DMV does not require you to notify local law enforcement about a stolen or lost car title. However, DMV.com recommends reporting the missing car title before applying for a car title replacement. Reporting the theft will protect your identity should somebody find your car title and attempt to use it as their own.
California Eligibility Requirements for Obtaining a Duplicate Car Title
The California Department of Motor Vehicles requires drivers to replace car title documents:
- Lost car titles
- Stolen car titles
- Car titles damaged beyond legibility
- In person
- By mail
Replace Car Title In PersonTo replace car titles at a local CA DMV office, you must have the following:
- A completed Application for Duplicate Title form (REG 227), which must be notarized and signed by the legal owner. The following details need to be included:
- Your CA driving license.
- Payment of the $19 fee, which can vary based on the type of vehicle.
- The CA DMV accepts cash, checks, money orders, and debit/ATM cards
Replace Car Title By MailIf you would like to replace lost car titles by mail, the process is just as easy. Fill out an Application for Duplicate Title form (REG 227), have it notarized, and send it with a check or money order for the $19 car title replacement fee to the following address:
Department of Motor Vehicles Vehicle Registration Operations P.O. Box 942869 Sacramento, CA 94269-0001
How to Replace a Car Title if Out-of-State/on Military DutyIf you have lost your car title and are either out-of-state or an active service military member, you are still required to obtain a car title replacement. To do so, you will have to follow the steps associated with applying by mail.
- Fill out an Application for Duplicate Title form (REG 227) and have it notarized.
- Enclose a check or money order for the $19 car title replacement fee.
- Send the form and payment to the following address:
Department of Motor Vehicles Vehicle Registration Operations P.O. Box 942869 Sacramento, CA 94269-0001To learn about other circumstances, contact the CA Department of Motor Vehicles directly.