How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in Maryland
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle. You may apply online or at the local MVA office.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Completed Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title (form # VR-018).
- The vehicle title number.
- License plate number (if applicable).
- If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.
- Please note that this will render invalid any previous title documents. Lien information if any will be clearly displayed on the new title document.
Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit a $20 duplicate title here. Checks and money orders should be payable to the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration. Personal checks must include your name, address, date of birth, and driver license number. Money orders and travellers checks are not accepted for online transactions.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at tag and title service, or mail the package to:
Title File Unit
6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062