How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in Montana
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Complete the Application for Montana Duplicate Title and License (MV-7) form.
- Once completed, you must have the application form properly notarized.
- If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.
- If your title shows a lienholder, you must include a completed Security Interest Action with your application. The form may be requested at your local contract office.
- When Montana Vehicle Title is transferred, the signatures of the parties on the titles shown should be notarized and signed on the new one.
FEESAlong with your application form and the other materials, you must submit an $8.50 duplicate title fee, plus a processing fee of $2.50. Checks and money orders should be payable to the Montana Department of Revenue. Personal checks must include your name, address, date of birth, and driver license number.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATIONYou can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your local contract office, or mail the package to:
Title and Registration Bureau Motor Vehicle Division Montana Department of Justice 1003 Buckskin Drive Deer Lodge, Montana 59722