How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in Georgia
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Complete the MV-5 Application for a Replacement Registration Certificate.
- Once completed, the application form must be signed by the record owner. In the case of joint ownership, each owner's signature is required.
- If you are the current owner, you must write the word 'current' beside your signature and must provide a copy of the document transferring ownership.
- If you go in person to the county tag office with your driving license, description of the vehicle (year, model, make of the vehicle, vehicle's odometer reading unless exempt from odometer disclosure requirements and vehicle identification number) and supporting documents, the form can be printed for your signature and processing will be initiated.
- If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.
- If your title shows a lienholder, you must include a completed and notarized Lien Release form with your application.