Vehicle Emissions Testing in Georgia
The following counties require all cars and trucks powered by gasoline to undergo emission checks before being issued vehicle licence plates:
VEHICLES EXEMPT FROM AN EMISSIONS TEST
Vehicles exempt from emission tests include motorcycles, motor homes and RVs.
In case your vehicle fails the emission test, you will need to make repairs and get the vehicle retested within 30 days of the first test. CGAF Service centres need to be visited to apply for exemptions. Other exemptions include:
- Senior citizens who drive limited miles and whose vehicle's date of manufacture is over 10 years.
- Military personnel, students and businessmen whose vehicles might be outside the limits of testing areas.
GCAF Waiver Center Franklin Square Office Park 2141 Kingston Court, Suite 106 Marietta, GA 30067
EMISSIONS TESTING FEES AND LOCATIONS
Emission testing fees range from $10-$25 based on the location of testing.
EMISSIONS TEST FAILURESIn case your vehicle fails an emission test you will need to repair it and retake the test. If the vehicle fails again and you have proof of having spent over $738 on repairs, you might be eligible for a repairs waiver which exempts your vehicle from such a test in the future.
- Vehicles that run only on alternative power in the form of natural gas, electricity or hydrogen do not require an emissions test. However, hybrid vehicles do not qualify for this exemption as they do have a gasoline engine. The rule of thumb is that if gasoline is consumed by your engine, it will need to pass the emissions test.
- For more information about emissions requirements for gas vehicles or light duty diesel vehicles.
- See also Vehicle History Reports.