Vehicle Emissions Inspection in Virginia
In Virginia, a vehicle emissions test is required for many original registrations, as well as for annual registration renewals. Renewal notices are sent annually to vehicle owners, and indicate whether and by what date an emissions test must be completed.
VEHICLES THAT REQUIRE AN EMISSIONS TEST
A car, truck, motor home or RV (recreational vehicle) requires an emissions test when:
- It is a 1983 model or less (25 years older than the current calendar year).
- Diesel vehicle which carries passenger/property and is 1997 or newer.
- It is registered in the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, and Stafford and in cities such as Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, and Manassas Park.
- It runs on diesel fuel, and has a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating up to 8500 pounds.
VALIDITYEmission tests are valid for 90 days. A valid test is required to reinstate a suspended registration and to complete an original vehicle registration or registration renewal. Used car dealers are required to issue a valid emissions test for any vehicle they sell. Getting an emissions test is the buyer's responsibility when the vehicle is purchased from a private owner.
EXEMPTIONSA vehicle is exempt from emissions testing when:
- It is a 1983 model or older.
- It is a new vehicle, or on its first registration provided the manufacturer's certificate of origin is attached.
- It is a hybrid vehicle.
- It is powered by clean fuel.
- It is a diesel vehicle.
- It is 25 years or older powered by gasoline.