How to Apply for a Motorcycle License in Virginia
You can apply for a motorcycle permit and license at any DMV office in Virginia. In order to apply for a motorcycle license you must first apply for a motorcycle learner's permit.
Listed below are the requirements to obtain a learner's permit:
- You must first pass the motorcycle knowledge exam. No appointment is necessary.
- If you haven't got a driver's license, you must also pass the driver's license knowledge exam.
- If you are over 19 years of age and possess a driver's license, you may choose to undertake the Virginia Rider Training Program. After successful completion, you have 30 days to register with your DMV office who will add "M" class to your existing license.
Learner's PermitOnce you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given a learner's permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle.
Learner's Permit RestrictionsWith your learner's permit you are required to do the following:
- You must wear an approved safety helmet.
- You must wear eye and face protection.
- You must be supervised by a person at 21 years of age or older and who is licensed to operate a motorcycle, who is supervising from a separate accompanying motor vehicle.
- You cannot carry passengers with a motorcycle learner's permit.
Applying for a Motorcycle License
- You must have had your permit for at least 30 days unless you are under 19, in which case you must hold a permit for at least 9 months.
- Pass the motorcycle knowledge exam.
- Pass the motorcycle road skills test.
- Pass the vision test.
FeesFor an "M" designation on your existing license, the cost is a nominal $2 per year. For a motorcycle-only license, the cost is $6 per year.
- New drivers see our Driver Education , Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's Licenses or other Drivers Licenses.
- Motorcycle insurance is required for all motorcycles operated in Virginia.