How to Apply for a Motorcycle License in Hawaii
You can apply for a motorcycle permit and license at any licensing station in Hawaii. Unlike other states which have a statewide DMV licensing of drivers for all vehicles including motorcycles, licensing in Hawaii is handled by the city or county governments though the laws are generally uniform across the state.
In order to apply for a motorcycle license you must first apply for a motorcycle permit.
New Applicants Over 18
When applying for a Motorcycle permit/endorsement you will be applying for a Class 1 (scooters below 5hp) or 2 (motorcycles above 5hp) license. Listed below are the requirements to obtain a motorcycle license or endorsement:
- Complete the application form- original must be submitted in person; no photocopies are allowed.
- Have your picture taken.
- Give a thumb print.
- Pay an application fee.
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the signs and traffic laws examination. See practice tests for more information on the written exam.
- Book an appointment to write your examination by calling 1-800- 532-7700 OR please see your local licensing station for hours and locations.
New Applicants between 15 and 18In addition to the above requirements, applicants under 18 must:
- Provide a parent/guardian signature on the form.
- Present proof that you have finished driver's education and driver training OR present your Hawaii driver's license. Please see Driver's Education and Driving Schools for additional details.
- Provide proof of birth date and legal status documentation.
- Present your true full name.
- Present your social security number.
Instruction Permit (Learner's Permit)Once you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given an instruction permit valid for 90 days. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle. It cannot be renewed unless you attempt a skills test during this period.
Instruction Permit RestrictionsWith your instruction permit you are not permitted to:
- Drive on the highway.
- Drive after dark.
- Ride with any passengers.
Applying for a Motorcycle License15-17 year olds are issued licenses valid for four years. From the age of 18 you are eligible for a six-year license till the age of 71 after which you have to renew every other year.
- Complete a motorcycle driver training course approved by the Hawaii department of Transportation.
- For more information on this course please see Hawaii motorcycle safety education program or its equivalent from another state and present the course certificate to your local licensing station or take the motorcycle driving test by scheduling an appointment at a licensing office.
FeesThere is an application fee of $1, a written test fee of $1 and an additional $10 toward issuance of an instruction permit. The charge for a road test is $5. The regular license (first time and each renewal) costs $6 for two years, $12 for four and $18 for six years.
- New drivers see our Driver Education , Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's Licenses or other Drivers Licenses.
- Motorcycle insurance is recommended for all motorcycles operated in Hawaii.