How to Apply for a Motorcycle License in Maryland
You can apply for a motorcycle permit and license at any MVA office in Maryland. In order to apply for a motorcycle license you must first apply for a motorcycle learner's permit.
New Applicants Over 18
Listed below are the requirements to obtain a motorcycle learner's permit:
- Study the motorcycle manual.
- Locate your nearest MVA office.
- Fill in the application form.
- Submit acceptable proof of age and proof of legal presence.
- Present your social security number.
- Pay an application fee ($50 if you have no regular license and $30 if you do).
- Pass the renew by mail.
- Pass the signs and traffic laws examination and motorcycle knowledge test. See practice tests for more information on the written exam.
New Applicants Between 15 Years, 9 months and 18 yearsIn addition to the above requirements, applicants under 18 must:
- Provide a parent/guardian signature on the application form.
- Furnish proof that you have completed the Motorcycle Safety Program. Please see Driver's Education and Driving Schools for additional details.
- If you are under 16, provide a Learner's Permit School Attendance Certification.
Learner's PermitOnce you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given a learner's permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle.
Instruction Permit RestrictionsWith your instruction permit you are not permitted to ride with any passengers other than a licensed instructor who is over 21 and has held a motorcycle license for at least 3 years.
Applying for a Motorcycle License
- Make an appointment to take the skills test at any licensing centre. Call 1-888-212-4709, or 1-410-762-5082 if out of state.
- Take the skills test. If you fail part of the test you may return the following day and make a second attempt.
- You motorcycle must be registered, roadworthy and properly equipped. See the manual for details.
FeesThere is a $5 fee for the permit and $50 for the license. If the application expires, some steps to acquiring the permit or license may have to be repeated.
- New drivers see our Driver Education , Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's Licenses or other Drivers Licenses.
- Motorcycle insurance is required for all motorcycles operated in Maryland.