You can apply for a motorcycle permit and license at any DMV office in Wisconsin. In order to apply for a motorcycle license you must first apply for a motorcycle instruction permit.
New Applicants Over 18
Listed below are the requirements to obtain a Class M license:
- Complete the application form (MV3001) - original must be submitted in person; no photocopies.
- Have your picture taken.
- Provide proof of U.S. citizenship, permanent residency, conditional residency status or temporary visitor status.
- Provide proof of name and date of birth.
- Provide proof of Wisconsin residency.
- Provide your Social Security number.
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the knowledge test. See practice tests for more information on the written exam.
10. Pay the fee ($32 for a 6 month permit).
New Applicants Between 16 and 18
In addition to the above requirements, applicants under 18 must:
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Provide signed consent of a parent or guardian.
- Show proof of that you completed an approved driver education course. See Driver's Education and Driving Schools for additional details.
- Show proof of enrollment in a basic rider course.
Instruction Permit (Learner's Permit)
Once you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given an instruction permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle.
Instruction Permit Restrictions
With your instruction permit you are required to:
- Wear eye protection.
- Wear an approved helmet.
- If riding at night, the permit holder must be accompanied by a person at least 25 years old with two years licensed driving experience and a Class M motorcycle license.
Applying for a Motorcycle License
- If you are between 16 and 17 you must have had your permit for at least 6 months.
- Successful completion of a Basic Motorcycle Rider Course.
- Present the course certificate to your local DMV office.
- Complete a skills test offered by the Wisconsin by scheduling an appointment at a DMV office. Riders who have their Wisconsin Driver's License are NOT required to take the motorcycle driving test.
- If you have held 3 previous instruction permits or failed 2 skills tests, you will be required to complete a Basic Motorcycle Rider Course.
for an instruction permit and an M class license are $32 and $22 respectively.