- your advisor for Texas DMV issues (not from Texas? Select another state)

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save - Exclusive

How to Apply for a Motorcycle License in Texas

You can apply for a motorcycle permit and license at any DOT office in Texas. In order to apply for a motorcycle license you must first apply for a motorcycle instruction permit.

New Applicants Over 18

When applying for a motorcycle instruction permit you will required to:

  1. Complete application form - original must be submitted in person; no photocopies.
  2. Provide proof of ID.
  3. Have your picture taken.
  4. Give a thumb print.
  5. Pay an application fee ($5 for processing and $10 for the examination).
  6. Supply proof of insurance and registration if you own a vehicle.
  7. Pass the vision test.
  8. Pass the Motorcycle examination. See practice tests for more information on the written exam.
Beginning January 12, 2015, any customer who has proof of completion of a department approved motorcycle operator training course, and applies for one of the 2 licenses below, DOES NOT have to take the motorcycle knowledge test.
  • Unrestricted Class M;
  • Class M restricted to three-wheeled motorcycles.

New Applicants Between 15 and 18

Individuals under 18 applying for a motorcycle or moped license must:
  • Have a Class C learner license or driver license; or
  • Complete the classroom phase of a driver education course before a motorcycle safety course can be taken. (The behind-the-wheel part of driver education course is not needed to take the motorcycle safety course or to apply for a Class M.)
Minors from Out-of-State    
  • In Texas, the driver education requirement applies to all individuals under 18, even if they already hold a motorcycle license from another state.

Instruction Permit (Learner's Permit)

Once you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given an instruction permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle. Instruction permit holders can only ride under the guidance of someone 21 years or older with a valid motorcycle license. 15 year olds can only operate a motorcycle with less than 250 cc capacity, but this restriction is automatically removed on the 16th birthday.

Applying for a Motorcycle License

You should book an appointment with your nearest DOT office for the on-road test. You should bring a qualified driver and vehicle to the test as the examiner will require somebody to drive him behind you as you ride.


If you are out of sate, you can get a motorcycle classification on an existing license by taking the following steps.
  1. Complete a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. The MSC must be approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
  2. Send a copy of the graded written exam or a letter from the instructor with verifying the exam taken and grade and the MSB-8 completion certificate.
  3. Send the fee. The Texas DOT will only accept a check or money order drawn on a U.S. Bank, payable to the Texas Department of Public Safety.


Motorcycle with driver license (Class AM, BM or CM)
  • New: add to driver license fee $15
    Expires when your driver license expires (depends on age; see driver license section)    
  • Renewal: add to driver license renewal fee $8
    Expires when your driver license expires (depends on age; see driver license section)    
  • Add motorcycle to existing driver license $16
    Expiration date on driver license does not change     
Motorcycle license (Class M) only
  • New $25
    Expires when your driver license expires (depends on age; see driver license section)    
  • Renewal $33
    Expiration date depends on age; see driver license section     
Learner license for motorcycle (Class M) only
  • Under 18: $16
    Expires on your 18th birthday    
  • 18 and older $25
    Expires after six years (on your birthday)    

Additional Information

Reviews of How to Apply for a Motorcycle License in Texas

Why is it that if I am out of state and I take to MSF course, I am good to just mail in a copy of the MSF and a letter saying I passed the test, but if I happen to be coming into Texas and stop in person, the letter is no good and I have to take the test. This is the reason why the government is broke, because common sense does not apply to anything that they do!

What about Scooter Endorsements?