How to Apply for a Motorcycle License in Texas
You can apply for a motorcycle permit and license at any DOT office in Texas. In order to apply for a motorcycle license you must first apply for a motorcycle instruction permit.
New Applicants Over 18
When applying for a motorcycle instruction permit you will required to:
- Complete application form - original must be submitted in person; no photocopies.
- Provide proof of ID.
- Have your picture taken.
- Give a thumb print.
- Pay an application fee ($5 for processing and $10 for the examination).
- Supply proof of insurance and registration if you own a vehicle.
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the Motorcycle Handbook. See practice tests for more information on the written exam.
New Applicants Between 15 and 18In addition to the above requirements, applicants under 18 must:
- Provide a parent/guardian signed authorization.
- Provide a certificate verifying completion of the motorcycle safety course. Please see Driver's Education and Driving Schools for additional details.
- Provide verification of attendance and enrollment in school.
- Present a certificate of completion in the Driver Education classroom course.
- Provide proof of your social security number.
Instruction Permit (Learner's Permit)Once you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given an instruction permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle. Instruction permit holders can only ride under the guidance of someone 21 years or older with a valid motorcycle license. 15 year olds can only operate a motorcycle with less than 250 cc capacity, but this restriction is automatically removed on the 16th birthday.
Applying for a Motorcycle LicenseYou should book an appointment with your nearest DOT office for the on-road test. You should bring a qualified driver and vehicle to the test as the examiner will require somebody to drive him behind you as you ride.
Out-of-State-ApplicationsIf you are out of sate, you can get a motorcycle classification on an existing license by taking the following steps.
- Complete a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. The MSC must be approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
- Send a copy of the graded written exam or a letter from the instructor with verifying the exam taken and grade and the MSB-8 completion certificate.
- Send the fee. The Texas DOT will only accept a check or money order drawn on a U.S. Bank, payable to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
FeesOn top of the $5 application fee, your examination will cost $10. Your license will cost $32 unless you are under the age of 18, in which case it is $5. If the application expires, some steps to acquiring the permit or license may have to be repeated.
- New drivers see our Driver Education , Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's Licenses or other Drivers Licenses.
- Motorcycle insurance is required for all motorcycles operated in Texas.