How to Apply for a Motorcycle License in Minnesota
You can apply for a motorcycle permit and license at any DDVS (Department of Public Safety - Division of Driver and Vehicle Services) office in Minnesota. In order to apply for a motorcycle license you must first have a regular license.
New Applicants Over 18
Listed below are the requirements to obtain a motorcycle endorsement:
- Complete application form- original must be submitted in person; no photocopies are allowed.
- Have your picture taken.
- Give a thumb print.
- Pay an application fee ($21).
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the signs and traffic laws examination. See practice tests for more information on the written exam.
- Book an appointment for your examination by calling 651-297-3298 OR please see your local DDVS office for hours and locations.
New Applicants below 18In addition to the above requirements, applicants under 18 must:
- Provide a parent/guardian's signature on the consent form
- Present proof that you have finished driver's education and driver training OR present your Minnesota driver's license. Please see Driver's Education and Driving Schools for additional details.
- Provide proof of birth date and legal status documentation.
- Present your true full name.
- Present your social security number.
Instruction Permit (Learner's Permit)Once you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given an instruction permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle for a year.
Instruction Permit RestrictionsWith your instruction permit you are not permitted to:
- Drive on the highway.
- Drive during the evening.
- Ride with any passengers.
Applying for a Motorcycle License
- You must first get a license or instruction permit before you can enroll for the Basic Rider course.
- Complete the Basic Rider course offered by the Minnesota Motorcycle Safety Center (MMSC). For more information on this course please see motorcycle training course.
- Present the MMSC course certificate to your local DDVS office.
- If you have a regular Minnesota driver license and motorcycle instruction permit before you attend a motorcycle driver training course offered by the Minnesota Motorcycle Safety Center (MMSC).
- Present the course certificate to your local DDVS office.
- OR take the motorcycle driving test by scheduling an appointment at a DMV office.
FeesThere is a fee of $21 for the test and $11.75 for the endorsement.
- New drivers see our Driver Education , Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's Licenses or other Drivers Licenses.
- Motorcycle insurance is required for all motorcycles operated in Minnesota.