How to Apply for a Motorcycle License in North Carolina
New Applicants Over 18
Listed below are the requirements to obtain a motorcycle permit:
- Complete application form - original must be submitted in person; no photocopies are allowed.
- Have your picture taken.
- Pay an application fee ($15).
- Pass the vision test.
- Pass the traffic signs and motorcycle knowledge examinations. See practice tests for more information on the written exam.
New Applicants between 16 and 18In addition to the above requirements, applicants between 16 and 18 must possess a full provisional license issued by the DMV. A parent or guardian's signature is also required.
Learner PermitOnce you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given a learner permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle.
Instruction Permit RestrictionsWith your instruction permit you are not permitted to:
- Ride unaccompanied by a licensed rider aged 21 or older and traveling on a separate vehicle behind you.
- Drive during the evening.
- Ride with any passengers.
Applying for a Motorcycle Endorsement
- You must have had your permit for at least 6 months.
- Take the on-cycle road skills test at any DMV office.
- On passing the test, you will be given a motorcycle endorsement on your current license.
Motorcycle Endorsement & Learner Permit
- Motorcycle Endorsement: $1.75/yr
- Motorycycle Learner Permit: $15
- New drivers see our Driver Education , Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's Licenses or other Drivers Licenses.
- Motorcycle insurance is required for all motorcycles operated in North Carolina.