You can apply for a motorcycle learner's permit and license at any BMV license agency in Ohio. In order to apply for a motorcycle license you must first apply for a motorcycle permit.
Listed below are the requirements to obtain a learner's permit:
- Visit your nearest BMV license agency and request a "motorcycle permit packet" ($19.50).
- Provide proof of identity (Proof of Identity).
- Study the Motorcycle Operator Manual and the Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws. You may also wish to avail of our practice tests.
- Visit a driver's license exam station and take a vision test and the written test.
- If you were successful in the written test, the examiner will fill out and validate the appropriate validation box on the back of your new permit
Once you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given a learner's permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle.
Applying for a Motorcycle License
Take the following steps when you are prepared to apply for your license:
- Contact a driver's license exam station to book an appointment for the on-cycle test.
- Provide forms of ID proof of identity.
- After you have successfully completed the on-cycle examination, the examiner will fill out and validate the road and maneuverability box on the back of your permit.
- The permit and your driver's license (if you have one) must then be taken to the BMV license agency to take possession of your license or to add a motorcycle endorsement to your current license.
In addition to the above procedures, if you are 16 or 17 years of age, you must show proof of completing a driver education course and a motorcycle safety education course before you can take the on-cycle test examination.
There is no fee for the learner's permit. The fee for both a license and endorsement on an existing license is $23.