How to Replace a Lost Vehicle Title in Wisconsin
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR Replacement license plates
- Complete the Replacement License Plate Application form, making sure to indicate that you are applying for a duplicate title.
- Another person may pick up your duplicate title using the Permission to Pick Up Title form along with a valid photo ID (driver license of state ID) from Wisconsin or another state.
- If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.
Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit a $20 duplicate title fee. There is an additional service fee of $5 for applications in person. Checks, money orders and cash are accepted.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your local DMV Service Center, or mail the package to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Madison, WI 53707-7949
- If you apply in person, you will receive the duplicate title the same day.
- To receive your title in the mail faster, include a $4 priority fee along with the duplicate title fee when applying by mail.
- See also Title Transfers, Replacing Your License, and Replacing your Registration.
- See also Address Changes and Bill of Sale.