How to Replace a Vehicle Registration in Texas
If your vehicle's registration card, license plate(s) or stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, you may apply for a replacement with the Texas Department of Transportation. The procedure will differ slightly depending on what needs to be replaced.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT REGISTRATION CARD
You can apply for a replacement registration card if your card is lost, stolen, or damaged in person by following these steps:
- Head to your local county tax office.
- Bring along a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and the license plate.
- If your current registration card has been damaged, attach the damaged card to the application.
- Duplicate registration receipt for current registration period is $2. Check the fee schedule for more information.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATESIf one or both of your license plates are lost, stolen, or damaged, you must apply for replacement plate(s) immediately. You can obtain replacement plates either in person or by mail. Applying For Replacement License Plates In Person
- If you suspect theft of license plates, report the same to the police.
- Head to your local county tax office with the report number and you will be issued new license plates with new numbers, unless you had specialized plates and want to continue with that number.
- Bring the damaged plate(s) with you, if you still have them.
- Bring your valid Texas driver's license or State identification card.
- Pay the appropriate duplicate license plate fee, which varies depending on whether you have regular, special interest, or personalized plates. Check with the county office for the exact amount.
APPLYING FOR REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATE STICKER(S)If your vehicle's year sticker is lost, stolen or damaged, you are required to obtain a replacement sticker. There is no need to file a complaint with the police even if you suspect the stickers to be stolen. You must head to a local county tax office and apply for replacement tags. Replacement plates are available through your local county tax assessor-collector's office. It costs $6 for most vehicles plus a $1 automation fee (used for computer upgrades to the registration and titling system).
- Note that you cannot obtain replacement license plates or stickers for vehicles that are not currently registered.
- Local Information:
Dial (800) 558-9368, toll free, to automatically be connected to the local TxDOT District office nearest you.
- General Information:
Call our general switchboard at (512) 463-8588 for general TxDOT information.
- See also Vehicle registration and Registration Renewal.
- See also Replacing a Lost Driver's License and Replacing a Lost Title.