How to Replace a Vehicle Registration in Florida
If your vehicle's registration card, license plate(s) or stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, you may apply for a replacement with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. While the procedure differs slightly depending on what needs to be replaced, you will usually need to complete the application for Replacement License Plate, Validation Decal, or Parking Permit.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT REGISTRATION CARD
You can apply for a replacement registration card if your card is lost, stolen, or damaged either online or in person by following these steps:
- You can go to a local county tax collector office.
- Identify yourself.
- Provide a copy of the registration certificate or title of the vehicle.
- Pay the duplicate registration fee, currently $3.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATESIf one or both of your license plates or decals are lost, stolen, or damaged, you must apply for replacement plate(s) immediately. You can obtain replacement plates in person at a local county tax collector office.
- Complete the application for Replacement License Plate, Validation Decal, or Parking Permit. The correct application depends on whether you have regular, special interest, or personalized plates.
- Bring the damaged plate(s) with you, if you still have them.
- Pay the appropriate duplicate license plate fee, which varies depending on whether you have regular, special interest, or personalized plates. If you lost your license plate or if you were asked by police to replace your license plate, the replacement plate will not be charged.
- A stolen license plate should be reported to a law enforcement officer, and the same must be noted on the application for replacement registration.
- Note that you cannot obtain replacement license plates or stickers for vehicles that are not currently registered.
- For all queries related to registration records, contact the Florida DHS&MV at (850) 617-2000 or send an email for doubts or questions.
- See also Vehicle registration and Registration Renewal.
- See also Replacing a Lost Driver's License and Replacing a Lost Title.