In the state of Colorado, traffic schools are often referred to as ‘Driver Improvement Courses’. There are three reasons why people enroll in the Driver Improvement Course:
- After a traffic violation, the court will order the driver to take a course at a traffic/driving school to improve their safe-driving skills.
- To receive insurance discounts.
- To eliminate speeding tickets in Colorado.
This program is designed to help you to learn defensive driving techniques that will make you a safer driver. The Driver Improvement Course is available at various private locations for a fee and online courses are offered in Colorado. If the course has been court-ordered, please ensure that the court will accept a certificate of completion from an online or regular course, before enrolling in that DIC.
Any driver can enroll in a Driver Improvement Course at any time to receive the following benefits:
- Insurance Benefits - some insurance companies may offer premium discounts to over 55 year old drivers who have completed this program. Please check with your insurance representative to see if you qualify for this discount.
WHEN IS IT MANDATORY?
Either the court or the DMV (when notified by the courts) may order you to successfully complete a driver improvement program at your cost when you have been convicted under any law that governs vehicular operations on highways. It is under the court’s discretion as to whether or not you will be mandated to take one of these courses. You may also have to undergo this course as a precondition to suspending your whole or part of your imprisonment or fine. If under 18 years old, the court will order you to successfully complete a driver improvement school when you have been convicted of a traffic violation besides traffic infraction.
Depending on the location, the 8-hour courses or online courses can cost up to $150.00. Please check with individual providers for more details on individual pricing.
- If you are looking for information on how to get your license or permit, see Driver’s Education.
- Please click on defensive driving schools for details about other safe driving courses.
- When studying for your driver’s license/permit, use the driver’s manual to help you learn about safe driving techniques and traffic laws.
- For more licensing and safe-driving information for beginning drivers, see learner’s permits.
- The list of course providers is updated every month.