In the state of Arkansas, traffic schools offer defensive driving courses. There are three reasons why people enroll in the traffic schools:
- After a traffic violation resulting in your license being suspended, taking a course at a traffic/driving school to improve your safe-driving skills may be required before your license can be reinstated.
- To receive insurance discounts.
- To receive safe driving points.
This program is designed to help you to learn defensive driving techniques that will make you a safer driver. There are various locations where these driver improvement clinics are offered in Arkansas. These are usually approved by the Office of Driver Services.
. You can contact the Driver Control Section
at (501) 682-1631 for further information on such programs and their locations.
Any driver can enroll in a defensive driving course at any time to receive the following benefits:
- Insurance Benefits - some insurance companies may offer premium discounts. Please check with your insurance representative to see if you qualify for this discount.
- Safe Driving Points – some courses give you safe driving points on completion. These points can be used to counteract demerit points.
Note: If you take a defensive driving course for the insurance benefits you may not qualify for the safe driving points. Also, if the course has been court ordered you may not be eligible for the insurance premium discount.
WHEN IS IT MANDATORY?
Either the court or the OMV (when notified by the courts) may order you to successfully complete a driver improvement program when you have been convicted of a moving or traffic violation. It is under the court’s discretion as to whether or not you will be mandated to take one of these courses. You will have to complete it within the stipulated time.
The cost varies depending on the location of the clinics. Please contact the Driver License Section at 501-682-7052 or the Driver Control Section at (501) 682-1631 for more details on individual pricing.
- If you are looking for information on how to get your license or permit, see Driver’s Education.
- Please click on defensive driving schools for details about other safe driving courses.
- When studying for your driver’s license/permit, use the driver’s manual to help you learn about safe driving techniques and traffic laws.
- For more licensing and safe-driving information for beginning drivers, see learner’s permits.