Kentucky has a State Traffic School (STS) program provided by the Transportation Cabinet for drivers convicted of minor traffic violations. Enrollment though is only for those referred by court, and is usually not an option for drivers with suspended license or those convicted of serious violations that require license suspensions.
This program is designed to help you to learn defensive driving techniques that will make you a safer driver. It also gives you a comprehensive understanding of Kentucky laws. The Division of Driver Licensing provides you with three options to complete the STS program – Internet, class room or DVD/video.
- For the internet option log on to www.KYSTS.com. You need your enrollment letter from the Division of Driver Licensing, your driver’s license and a credit/debit card.
- If going for the four hour classroom option click [ here] for times and locations. You can enroll or reschedule at http://sts.ky.gov/.
- You can order an STS video by calling (800) 505-5095 or you can rent a DVD at any participating Blockbuster, Movie Gallery Video or Hollywood Video store locations.
- The traffic violation and the points assessed will not be displayed on your driving record.
- Insurance Benefits - some insurance companies may offer premium discounts. Please check with your insurance representative to see if you qualify for this discount
WHEN IS IT MANDATORY?
Enrollment in STS is ordered by the District Court of the county where the violation took place and is always mandatory. You will be sent a letter with enrollment instructions and you have 30 days within which to comply. If you are not enrolled within 30 days your license will be suspended. You may reschedule your STS class one time. You can enroll or reschedule your STS class online.
Classroom STS classes cost $15 while the video or internet option costs $50.
Note: Kentucky drivers convicted in another state may be allowed to attend STS in Kentucky. For this sent a request to the Division of Driver Licensing accompanied by a $15 check made payable to Kentucky State Treasurer.
- If you are looking for information on how to get your license or permit, see Driver’s Education.
- Please click on defensive driving schools for details about other safe driving courses.
- When studying for your driver’s license/permit, use the driver’s manual to help you learn about safe driving techniques and traffic laws.
- For more licensing and safe-driving information for beginning drivers, see learner’s permits.