In Maryland you cannot have traffic violations or demerit points reduced or taken off your record by going to a traffic school.
There are still a few reasons why enrolling in traffic schools is a good idea:
- To receive insurance discounts.
- To improve your safe driving techniques and become a better, safer driver.
- To keep abreast of the laws and to get a better understanding of them.
Like in other states there are various traffic courses and clinics being offered in Maryland, some of them online. It is better to contact the Maryland MVA and get a list of approved courses before you enroll in one. If the clinic has been court-ordered, please ensure that the court will accept a certificate of completion from an online course, before enrolling in a computer based one.
Some insurance companies may offer premium discounts to drivers completing safe driving courses. Please check with your insurance representative to see if you qualify for this discount. You may not be eligible for insurance premium discounts if the course has been court ordered.
WHEN IS IT MANDATORY?
Either the court or the MVA (when notified by the courts) may order you to successfully complete a driver improvement program when you have been convicted of a moving or traffic violation. It is under the court’s discretion as to whether or not you will be mandated to take one of these courses.
- If you are looking for information on how to get your license or permit, see Driver’s Education.
- Please click on defensive driving schools for details about other safe driving courses.
- When studying for your driver’s license/permit, use the driver’s manual to help you learn about safe driving techniques and traffic laws.
- For more licensing and safe-driving information for beginning drivers, see learner’s permits.