If you are a New Jersey resident and have changed addresses or plan to do so in the near future, you must have the address information updated on your license, vehicle registration and title certificate. You are also required to notify your insurance provider of your new address.
REPORTING A CHANGE OF ADDRESS TO THE MOTOR VEHICLE COMMISSION
You must notify the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) of a change in address within 7 days of moving to a new residence, and to obtain a replacement driver license. Reporting a change of address to your MVC Agency is simple, and can be done in person or online. If you are a commercial license holder, apply in person at your MVC agency.
Reporting an address change in person:
- If you are unable to change your address online, you can contact the MVC Agency nearest you for more information.
Reporting an address change via the Internet:
- You can report a change of address online.
- After submitting the form online, you will receive confirmation of the same by mail within 3-4 weeks. This will also contain the new address stickers.
- There are no fees to be paid for this.
ADDRESS CHANGE ON YOUR VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATION
- You must notify your MVC agency of a change of address and have this information updated on your New Jersey Vehicle Title and Registration certificate. This must be done within 7 days of moving to a new address, since this will allow you to receive your renewal notice and any other correspondence in a timely fashion.
- You can either report the change of address in person by visiting your MVC agency, or via mail, and your records will be updated at no charge. You can also choose to report the change of address online. There are no charges for this either.
NOTIFYING YOUR INSURANCE SERVICE PROVIDER OF AN ADDRESS CHANGE
- You must also notify your insurance provider of your change of address, so that you receive timely information regarding due dates for payments, renewals, and other communication.
- To save time and money, some New Jersey drivers who change addresses choose to obtain a free quote for new auto insurance instead of changing the address with their current insurance provider. Not only does this save the hassle of contacting and notifying the current insurance company, but it could potentially save hundreds of dollars by identifying companies that offer lower rates and/or better coverage.
- If you are a non-US citizen residing in New Jersey, and wish to have your address updated on your license, you must apply in person at a MVC agency Please remember to bring appropriate proof of legal presence.
- If you are moving to New Jersey from another state, you will need to transfer your license within 60 days or before your current license expires, whichever is sooner.
- For related information, see Replacing Your Driver License, Replacing Your Vehicle Title, and Vehicle Registration.
- Your may also wish to change your address on your New Jersey voter registration.