is a privately owned website. Privacy

Suspended License Information for Texas

Reinstate Suspended Drivers License in Texas

The Texas Department of Public Safety can suspend your drivers license for a variety of reasons, including:

  • If you are deemed medically unable to drive.
  • If you are caught without car insurance in an accident that involves injury, death or $1,000 in property damage.
  • If you have committed multiple traffic offenses.
  • If you operate a vehicle or boat while under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DWI).

Each drivers license suspension in Texas will have a designated period that you must endure before you can reinstate suspended drivers license credentials. Note: Refusing to take a chemical test is also grounds for a suspended driving license in Texas. A police officer will immediately confiscate your drivers license and give you a 40-day temporary driving permit. This suspension can last up to two years, even if you are considered innocent of DUI.

Information Related to License Suspensions

Suspension Periods

The amount of time that you will hold a suspended drivers license in Texas varies based on the offense committed, such as:

  • A DUI conviction for drivers 21 and over: two-year suspension
  • A DUI conviction for drivers under 21: one-year suspension

You will receive a lengthened suspension period if you are ever caught operating a vehicle with a suspended or revoked drivers license. The added time will be the same as the original duration you were required to serve (one additional full year if you had a one-year suspension).

Texas Violation Point System

Drivers who are convicted of a traffic violation will receive points on their driving record. The drivers record is a report that shows all driving history, including information on whether or not one has a suspended drivers license.
The breakdown of the point system is as follows:

  • Traffic conviction (in or out of state): Two points
  • Traffic conviction (in or out of state) that resulted in a crash: Three points

If a driver accumulates six points on their driving record, they will incur a surcharge every year for as long as they have these six or more traffic points. The charges are as follows:

  • First six points: $100
  • Each additional point: $25

If these surcharges are not paid within 105 days, the result is drivers license suspension. Points will not be assessed if the individual in question takes a defensive driving class.

Traffic School

Drivers are allowed to enroll in a traffic school once every 12 months to dismiss a traffic ticket and eliminate points from their driving record if they meet the following qualifications:

  • You do not have a CDL
  • You were not driving 95 MPH or faster
  • You plead guilty and are not contesting the ticket
  • If you were charged with speeding, you did not exceed the limit by 25 MPH or more

Drivers training covers topics such as traffic rules, safety equipment, safe driving strategies and the wrongs of operating a vehicle while under the influence.
Texas DUI attorneys are also available to help you fight charges if you are facing a conviction of driving under the influence. These attorneys can help you reduce fines, sentences and other penalties.

How to Reinstate a Suspended Drivers License

Drivers must wait out the suspension period and pay all traffic fines before they begin suspended drivers license reinstatement. These factors vary depending on the severity of the offense.
Once requirements are met, drivers can access the TX Online Eligibility webpage to see if they are eligible to receive a drivers license and pay the reinstatement fee.
You will need to provide your:

  • Drivers license number.
  • Date of birth.
  • Last four digits of your Social Security Number.
  • Credit card information.
    • Reinstatement fee can be paid with VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover
    • Administrative License Revocations have a $125 reinstatement fee

Drivers who cannot pay online can submit a check along with compliance documents and SR22 certificate (from your car insurance company) using one of the following methods:

  • By fax: (512) 424-2848
  • By e-mail (only PDFs):
  • By mail (with copy of the suspension notice and the driver's name, birth date and drivers license number on all documents submitted):
Texas Department of Public Safety
Enforcement and Compliance Service
P.O. Box 4087
Austin, TX 78773-0320 Note: Drivers must maintain SR22 insurance for a period of two years.

Medical Suspensions

Reinstating suspended drivers license credentials after a suspension from the Medical Advisory Board can only be done if a driver meets all below requirements:

  • You submit medical information
  • You are approved by the Medical Advisory Board of Texas
  • You pass a road test

DUI Suspensions

To reinstate revoked drivers license or suspended credentials after driving under the influence, a driver must:

  • Complete the 12-hour alcohol awareness course within 180 days of the conviction.
  • Enroll in the Repeat Offender's DWI Drug Education Program.

Drug-related offenses require completion of a 15-hour drug awareness program as well. Note: If suspension came with an ignition interlock device, drivers are required to pay a $10 fee for an IID restriction on their driving license.

Car Insurance Suspensions

Drivers must submit one of the following documents to reinstate a suspended drivers license that was the cause of not having car insuranceduring an accident.

Occupational Drivers Licenses

If your drivers license was suspended but you need to drive for the following reasons, you may be eligible to receive a temporary (one- to two-year) occupational license:

  • School
  • Work
  • Necessary household reasons

However, if you meet any of the following criteria, you will be considered ineligible:

  • Your drivers license was suspended for medical reasons.
  • You want to drive a CDL vehicle.
  • You had your drivers license suspended because you did not pay child support.

Follow these steps to request an occupational driving license:

  1. Petition a court in the county you were suspended in
  2. Obtain a court order 30-day temporary driving permit
  3. Visit a TX DPS office and provide the following:
  4. Certified petition and court order
  5. SR22 certificate
  6. Suspension documents
  7. Reinstatement fees
    • Driver license offices accept cash, checks, money orders and credit cards
  8. Pay $10 fee for occupational license

Drivers can also mail their request and payment (only check or money orders) to:

Department of Public Safety
Enforcement and Compliance Service
P.O. Box 4087
Austin, TX 78773-0320. Note: Your request will be processed the moment you hand it in, unless you meet the below criteria:

  • If it was a drug or alcohol-related offense, you must wait 90 days.
  • If you have 2 or more administration license revocations on your drivers record, you have to wait one year.
  • If it was a conviction regarding intoxication, you must wait 180 days.

Related Links

Have a Question? Get Instant Online Answers!

Powered By