In the state of Virginia, traffic schools are often referred to as ‘Driver Improvement Clinics’. There are three reasons why people enroll in the Driver Improvement Clinics:
- After a traffic violation where demerit points were awarded, the court will orders the driver to take a course at a traffic/driving school to improve their safe-driving skills.
- To receive insurance discounts.
- To receive safe driving points.
This program is designed to help you to learn defensive driving techniques that will make you a safer driver. The DIC is an eight hour course and there are various locations and online clinics offered in Virginia. If the clinic has been court-ordered, please ensure that the court will accept a certificate of completion from an online course, before enrolling in a computer based DIC.
Any driver can enroll in a Driver Improvement Clinic at any time to receive the following benefits:
- Insurance Benefits - some insurance companies may offer premium discounts. Please check with your insurance representative to see if you qualify for this discount.
- Safe Driving Points - you will receive 5 safe driving points for 24 months if you complete a clinic. These points can be used to counteract demerit points.
Note: If you take a DIC for the insurance benefits you may not qualify for the safe driving points. Also, if the course has been court ordered you will not be eligible for the insurance premium discount.
WHEN IS IT MANDATORY?
Either the court or the DMV (when notified by the courts) may order you to successfully complete a driver improvement program when you have been convicted of a moving or traffic violation. It is under the court’s discretion as to whether or not you will be mandated to take one of these clinics. You will have 90 days to finish the course and if it is NOT completed successfully you will have you license suspended until the requirement has been fulfilled. If under 20 years old, you must complete an in-class clinic; online courses are not permitted.
Depending on the location, the 8 hour clinics or online courses can cost up to $75.00. Please see the clinic locations for more details on individual pricing.
- If you are looking for information on how to get your license or permit, see Driver’s Education.
- Please click on defensive driving schools for details about other safe driving courses.
- When studying for your driver’s license/permit, use the driver’s manual to help you learn about safe driving techniques and traffic laws.
- For more licensing and safe-driving information for beginning drivers, see learner’s permits.