In Arizona, drivers certified by licensed health personnel to have impaired mobility or a condition which substantially interferes with mobility may qualify for "Disabled" status.
You are also considered a disabled driver if you:
- Are unable to walk 200 m without resting due to orthopedic, arthritic or neurological condition.
- Need to use another person, support, a prosthetic device or a wheelchair.
- Have a disabling cardiac condition as per the American Heart Association standards.
- Have a disabling lung disease or need to use portable oxygen.
Disabled persons can acquire a Disabled Person (DP) placard or DP license plates. These entitle you to special parking privileges in areas designated for disabled persons, whenever you are the driver or a passenger of the vehicle. Misuse or abuse of these privileges is a misdemeanor and penalties are levied on individuals involved in such misuse.
HOW TO APPLY FOR DISABLED STATUS
You are considered to have disabled status when you acquire a DP placard or license plates. The DP license plate is issued to the vehicle while the placard is issued to the individual and cannot be transferred. The procedure to acquire these is explained below.
Duration of status
DP license plates or placards may be issued to those with permanent or temporary disabilities:
- Placards for the permanently disabled are valid for 5 years.
- Temporary DP placards are valid for up to 6 months.
- DP license plates are valid for the entire duration of the medical certification.
How to apply for DP license plates or a DP placard
To obtain DP license plate or placard:
- Download and complete the Application for Disabled Person Placard or Plates.
- Have a licensed physician, surgeon, physician's assistant, podiatrist, chiropractor, nurse practitioner or hospital administrator sign the Doctor's Certification of Disability portion of the form.
- Mail the completed form to the address on the form or to your local MVD office.
Issuance of a DP placard or plate is free. An annual fee of $25 is charged in case of a personalized DP plate.
Replacement of DP license plates requires a $5 fee.
Once the 5 year validity of permanent DP placards is over:
- You need to complete the renewal certificate.
- Sign it in the presence of a notary or a MVD agent.
- You can mail or submit it in person at any MVD office.
Incase of a temporary DP placard valid for 6 months, a new application will have to be submitted if the medical condition continues.
To replace lost, stolen or mutilated placards or plates:
- Download and complete the Application for Replacement Plates or Placards.
- Mail or submit the application, along with any fee to your local MVD office.
- A $5 fee is required for replacing DP license plates. Replacement of DP placards does not require any fee.