Pass Your DMV Test
How to Apply for a New Driver's License in New York
NEW DRIVERS AND FIRST TIME APPLICANTS
Following are the basic requirements for applying for a New York driver's license:
- Applicants must be 16 years or older.
- Any individual under 18 must provide parental consent and sign the form number MV-44. If 17 years of age, no consent is required if you have the Driver Education Student Certificate of Completion. For additional details, see Beginner Drivers and/or Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers.
- Everyone must pass the vision, written, and driving tests. See Practice Tests and Driver's Handbook for more information on the written examination. Driver education programs can help individuals prepare for their road test.
- Applicants must provide six points of acceptable proof of identification.
- Applicants must provide a Social Security card.
New York residents holding a driver's license from another state need to pass the vision test. You can exchange your out-of-state driver's license for a New York license as long as it is valid, has your photograph and shows the date of issue. However, like other applicants, new residents must provide proof of identification and a Social Security card.
Non-US citizens residing in New York do not need to apply for a New York driver's license unless you become a New York resident. You must have a driver's license issued by the country of your citizenship, in addition to an international driving permit.
The cost for a non-commercial (Class D) New York driver's license varies from $52.50 to $85 according to your age when applying.
With certain restrictions, an individual can legally drive in New York with a learner's license. See more information on Learner Permits and Junior Licenses.
- See also Renewing Your License.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's Licenses, Motorcycle Licenses.
- It is necessary to have active Auto Insurance in order to drive legally in New York.
- New drivers see our Driver Education , Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.