In order to change your address on your Alabama drivers license, you need to complete a number of important steps when applying. In order to simplify the process, you will need to gather the necessary documents, calculate your required fee payment before being able to change your address on your Alabama drivers license. Online assistance can help you complete all of these steps quickly and easily by providing you with all of the information you need to know about replacing your license. Start simplifying your application process today.
2. By Mail
Rather than get ahead with online assistance and services, some Alabama residents prefer to handle their DMV transactions via mail. Drivers can complete a few different procedures by mail, but payment methods are restricted, and the transactions have inconvenient and lengthy turnaround times for results.
3. Via a DMV Office
Certain transactions must be completed in person at an Alabama DMV office. However, before visiting a local branch, be sure to verify that the location offers the service you require. Not all DMV procedures can be completed at every location. Additionally, note that wait times are typically lengthy. So make sure to take advantage of online assistance to prepare for your visit.
If you are an Alabama resident and have changed addresses or plan to do so in the near future, you must have the address information updated on your license, vehicle registration and title certificate. You are also required to notify your insurance provider of your new address.
REPORTING A CHANGE OF ADDRESS TO THE DRIVER LICENSE DIVISION
You must notify the Alabama DPS of a change in address within 30 days of moving to a new residence. Reporting a change of address is simple, and can be done via mail or in person.
Reporting an address change by mail:
- Mail your full name, new address and license number to the following address:
Driver License Division
P.O. Box 1471
Montgomery, AL 36102
Reporting an address change in person:
- Reporting an address change in person is mandatory if you wish to obtain a duplicate license with the new address.
- Visit your probate judge or license commissioner's office.
- Bring your current license.
- You will have to pay the duplicate license fee of $18.
ADDRESS CHANGE ON YOUR VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATION
The address change on your vehicle title and registration can be done ONLY in person at your local probate judge of license commissioner's office.
NOTIFYING YOUR INSURANCE SERVICE PROVIDER OF AN ADDRESS CHANGE
- You must also notify your insurance provider of your change of address, so that you receive timely information regarding due dates for payments, renewals, and other communication.
- To save time and money, some Alabama drivers who change addresses choose to obtain a free quote for new auto insurance instead of changing the address with their current insurance provider. Not only does this save the hassle of contacting and notifying the current insurance company, but it could potentially save hundreds of dollars by identifying companies that offer lower rates and/or better coverage.