A customized guide on the process for address changes in the state of Hawaii
If you are a Hawaii resident and have changed addresses or plan to do so in the near future, you must have the address information updated on your license, vehicle registration and title certificate. You are also required to notify your insurance provider of your new address.
REPORTING A CHANGE OF ADDRESS TO THE DRIVER LICENSE DIVISION
You must notify the Hawaii Driver License Division of a change in address within 30 days of moving to a new residence, and also to obtain a replacement driver license. Reporting a change of address to your local driver license office in Honolulu , Hawaii, Islands of Maui or Kauai is simple, and can be done in person, or via mail. If you are a commercial license holder, apply in person at your local driver license office.
Reporting an address change in person:
- Locate the driver license office nearest you.
- Bring your current license, along with proper identification to prove your citizenship or legal presence. You need to show a proof of name, birth date and your social security number.
- There are no fees applicable.
Reporting an address change by mail:
- Complete the change of address form available from your local DMV office for the counties of Hawaii, Kauai and Maui. For Honolulu, you can download the form here.
The addresses for each county are as follows:
City and County of Honolulu Driver License Section P.O. Box 30340 Honolulu, HI 96820-0340 Fax: (808) 832-2904 Hawaii Driver Licensing Section Hawaii County Police Department 349 Kapiolani St. Hilo, HI 96720 Fax: (808) 961-8861 Kauai 4444 Rice St. Suite A480 Lihue, Kauai, HI 96766 Fax: (808) 241-6533 Maui County of Maui Service Center Division of Motor Vehicles & Licensing Attention: Renewal by Mail 70 E. Kaahumanu Ave., Suite A-17 Kahului, HI 96732-2176
ADDRESS CHANGE ON YOUR VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATION
- You must notify your local tax collector office of a change of address and have this information updated on your Hawaii Vehicle Title and Registration certificate. This must be done within 30 days of moving to a new address, since this will allow you to receive your renewal notice and any other correspondence in a timely fashion.
- You can either report the change of address in person by visiting your local tax collector office, or via mail, and your records will be updated at no charge.
NOTIFYING YOUR INSURANCE SERVICE PROVIDER OF AN ADDRESS CHANGE
- You must also notify your insurance provider of your change of address, so that you receive timely information regarding due dates for payments, renewals, and other communication.
- To save time and money, some Hawaii drivers who change addresses choose to obtain a free quote for new auto insurance instead of changing the address with their current insurance provider. Not only does this save the hassle of contacting and notifying the current insurance company, but it could potentially save hundreds of dollars by identifying companies that offer lower rates and/or better coverage.
- If you are a non-US citizen residing in Hawaii, and wish to have your address updated on your license, you must apply in person at a driver license office. Please remember to bring appropriate proof of legal presence.
- For related information, see Replacing Your Driver License, Replacing Your Vehicle Title, and Vehicle Registration.
- Your may also wish to change your address on your Hawaii voter registration.