Take the DMV.com Official CDL Practice Test Online
Get Our FREE
CDL Practice Test
70% of new commercial drivers fail the written driving test on their first try.
GET PREPARED! Test your knowledge with our comprehensive practice tests. DMV.com’s CDL practice tests cover all the critical topics including required vehicle inspections, road hazard precautions, shifting gears, law requirements, and much more. SIGNUP TODAY!
- Instant Results
- Unlimited Attempts
- Based On The Actual Exam
- Take Online Or Print It Out
- Created By DMV.com Official Experts
New drivers fail the written driving test on their first try.
You are 5 times more likely to pass the DMV test after taking our premium practice test.
DMV.com Sample Practice Test Sections
Taking the DMV sample test is a great way to brush up on written driver’s test topics. With practice questions based off of your state’s driver manual, DMV.com free driving test questions focus on road rules and regulations, traffic signs and the safest ways to operate your vehicle.
From the proper way to handle an accident to penalties for red light infractions, traffic laws keep the roads safe while you drive. As a result, there are a number of questions on written drivers exams pertaining to state traffic laws. Use DMV.com’s sample practice test to see how well you know the road rules.
During your daily commute, you will be frequently directed by traffic signals. The written drivers test has questions on how to manage:
- Traffic control.
- Pedestrian crossings.
- Lane movements.
Use the DMV.com free sample practice test and learn how to follow the traffic signals.
When you are driving, you must be able to decipher and adhere to a number of traffic signs. Do you know what they mean? DMV.com’s sample practice test has just a few questions on road signs, yet for a full rundown of the different traffic signs, get the full DMV.com Premium Practice Test.
Pavement markings are possibly the most critical aspect of road safety. Take the sample test to see how well you know these road lines:
- Lane separations
- No passing zones
- Edge of the roadway
- Turning lanes
- Reversible lanes
- One-way roads
- Bicycle lanes
- Sharrows (shared-use lanes)
Depending on where you live, weather patterns may affect your ability to drive. As a result, your written drivers exam will include questions on the proper way to operate a vehicle in the fog, rain or snow. The official DMV test will ask you how to deal with these situations that are common in inclement weather:
- Driving with wet brakes
- Brake failure
- Blown tires
- Engine malfunction
- Jammed gas pedals
Get the full Premium Practice Test for in-depth questioning that will prepare you for the DMV written exam.
DMV.com FREE CDL Practice Test Sections
Do you want to be a commercial driver? Start by sampling DMV.com’s FREE CDL driving practice test. All CDL practice questions are based off of the official commercial drivers handbook. Here at DMV.com, we offer free commercial written test questions that focus on road rules and regulations, vehicle inspections and safe ways to operate your commercial vehicle.
Commercial vehicle inspections are required by both federal and state laws. By using DMV.com’s Sample CDL Practice Exams, you will be tested on all the basics and intricate details: When do you need to inspect your vehicle? What you should look for during the inspection?
Most heavy commercial vehicles that use manual transmissions require double clutching in order to change gears. The CDL written drivers test has questions on how to:
- Shift up.
- Shift down.
- Manage retarders.
Use the DMV.com Free CDL Sample Practice Test and learn when you are supposed to shift gears while operating a commercial vehicle.
As a commercial vehicle driver, it is extremely important to maintain communication with other drivers and to always be aware of your vehicle’s surroundings. When you are driving, use your headlights, brake lights, signal lights or horn to communicate with other drivers on the road. DMV.com’s CDL Practice Tests contain all the key questions on how you are expected to communicate with other drivers.
As a commercial vehicle driver, you may encounter hazards during your commute. For that reason, it is crucial to remain cautious to prevent accidents from occurring.
Hazards may include:
- Work Zones
- Foreign Objects
- On/Off Ramps
- Delivery Trucks
- Parked Vehicles
- Ice Cream trucks
- Disabled Vehicles
- Slow Drivers
- Impaired Drivers
Depending on where you live, weather patterns may affect your ability to drive your commercial vehicle. As a result, your CDL written driver’s exam will include questions on the proper ways to operate a vehicle in the fog, rain, snow or extreme heat. The Official CDL DMV Test will ask you how to deal with these situations that are common in inclement weather:
- Driving with wet brakes
- Antilock Brake System failure
- Tire failure
- Engine malfunction
- Hydraulic pressure lost
DMV Driving Exam Study Checklist
To get good results on your CDL written drivers test and become a licensed commercial driver, DMV.com recommends you follow this five-step CDL written drivers exam study checklist. Here’s how to get the most out of your preparations:
- Review the official CDL driver’s license handbook from your state’s DMV. Focus on the sections that outline vehicle inspections, as well as shifting gears and communication methods. Questions on the CDL written drivers exam will be based on these sections.
- Take the DMV.com CDL Driver’s License Sample Test to get an idea of what to expect on the official CDL practice driving test. The DMV CDL sample test questions include information straight from the state commercial drivers license manual.
- After completing the CDL sample driving test, use the extended DMV.com CDL Study Guide. This guide is designed to help you effectively learn all important rules and regulations in a condensed, organized and systematic way.
- Use your DMV.com CDL Sample Test results to gauge your performance on the official CDL written drivers exam. If you need additional preparation you can also purchase the DMV.com CDL Premium Practice Test.
- Once you score 90 percent or higher, this means you are ready to book an appointment with the DMV, and be one step closer to getting a job as a commercial vehicle driver!
Getting Your Commercial Driver’s License
Passing the CDL DMV driver’s test is just the first step. If you want to get your commercial driver’s license, there’s more that goes into applying. To get your CDL, follow this 10-step process:
- Take the DMV.com CDL Free Driving Test.
- Use the DMV.com CDL Study Guide to boost your knowledge of problem areas.
- Take the CDL practice exam until you achieve the desired results.
- Gather all the required documents necessary for getting your commercial driver’s license.
- Make an appointment with your local DMV office.
- Take the official CDL DMV written drivers exam.
- Pass a vision test.
- Pass the on-road driving exam.
- Submit your required documents.
- Pay all necessary commercial drivers license fees.
Take the DMV Sample Permit Test
Subscribe For Updates
Stay current with the latest news on the DMV and automotive industry.