Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
If you are a South Dakota resident and have changed addresses or plan to do so in the near future, you must have the address information updated on your license.
REPORTING A CHANGE OF ADDRESS TO THE DIVISION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
You must notify the South Dakota Division of Motor Vehicles of a change in address within 90 days of moving to a new residence, and to obtain a replacement driver license. Reporting a change of address to your local driver license office is simple, and can be done in person or via mail.
Reporting an address change in person:
- Locate the here nearest you.
- Show proof of address change
- Pay the fee of $6. .
Reporting an address change via the Internet:
- You can report a change of address online by emailing details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The details required in the subject of the mail should be the name of the license holder, the SD license number, the date of birth of the license holder and the changed address.
- This only changes the address in the records of the driving agency and not on the license.
ADDRESS CHANGE ON YOUR VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATION
- You must notify your Motor Vehicles Division local office of a change of address and have this information updated on your South Dakota Vehicle Title and Registration certificate. This must be done as soon as possible after moving to a new address, since this will allow you to receive your renewal notice and any other correspondence in a timely fashion.
NOTIFYING YOUR INSURANCE SERVICE PROVIDER OF AN ADDRESS CHANGE
- You must also notify your insurance provider of your change of address, so that you receive timely information regarding due dates for payments, renewals, and other communication.
- To save time and money, some South Dakota drivers who change addresses choose to obtain a free quote for new auto insurance instead of changing the address with their current insurance provider. Not only does this save the hassle of contacting and notifying the current insurance company, but it could potentially save hundreds of dollars by identifying companies that offer lower rates and/or better coverage.
- If you are a non-US citizen residing in South Dakota, and wish to have your address updated on your license, you must apply in person at a driver license office. Please remember to bring appropriate proof of legal presence.
- For related information, see Replacing Your Driver License, Replacing Your Vehicle Title, and Vehicle Registration.
- In case moving your old vehicle is a hassle and you would like to sell your old vehicle and buy a new one, visit here and check the vehicle history reports.
- Your may also wish to change your address on your South Dakota voter registration.