Title Transfers or obtaining a New Certificate of Title in Oregon
A certificate of title issued by the state of Oregon is a document that proves legal ownership of a vehicle. A title must be obtained when an individual purchases a new vehicle. A title transfer must also be completed when a used vehicle is sold or gifted, when the loan on a vehicle is paid off or when a vehicle changes hands as a result of the death of the vehicle's owner. In Oregon, a title must be transferred in 30 days from the date of sale.
OBTAINING A TITLE FOR A NEW VEHICLE:
For new vehicles, the licensed dealer that sold the vehicle typically will accept and submit the required titling information and fees on behalf of the buyer. However, buyers wishing to handle the titling independently can do so. Those interested in applying for a new title without the dealer's assistance should refer to the Titling and Registering a New Vehicle page on the DMV website.
TRANSFERRING A TITLE ON A USED VEHICLE:
Sale/Purchase or Gift of a Used Vehicle
When you purchase a used vehicle, or obtain one as a gift, the title must be legally transferred into your name. This is done by obtaining the following documents, and submitting them along with the appropriate fees to the DMV office:
- The current title, with the assignment completed by the seller or donor (signing the title over to you), and notarized. The title must include the federal odometer disclosure, if the vehicle is less than ten years old.
- A release by the previous owner in the form of a Bill of Sale or a Lien Release or a Secure Odometer Disclosure/Reassignment form.
- An Odometer Disclosure form, if the title does not include this information and the vehicle is less than ten years old. Contact DMV for this form.
- Complete an Application for Title and Registration.
DMV Headquarters 1905 Lana Ave NE Salem, Oregon 97314
FeesAlong with the appropriate transfer of title documents above, the buyer will need to submit the following fees:
- $55.00 title fee.
- Other applicable fees depending on situation. Contact DMV for the correct amount.
Transfer of Title Following Death of Vehicle OwnerIn the event of the death of the vehicle owner, the title transfer depends on whether there was more than one owner. If the vehicle had more than one owner, the surviving owner(s) can submit the above documentation and fees along with the death certificate or obituary notice. If all the vehicle owners are deceased, contact DMV at 503-945-5000 for more information.
SubmissionAppropriate title transfer documents and fees should be submitted to the local DMV office or mailed to the headquarters office:
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
- Contact the local DMV office if you wish to add, remove or change a name on a vehicle title for reason other than those discussed above.
- A valid title provides proof of ownership of the vehicle. However, remember that a title transfer does not entitle the new owner(s) to legally operate the vehicle. For this, refer to the appropriate registration information.