Title Transfers or obtaining a New Certificate of Title in Texas
A title must be obtained when an individual purchases a new vehicle in TX. A title transfer must also be completed when a used vehicle is sold or gifted, or when a vehicle changes hands. A certificate of title issued by the state of Texas is a document that proves legal ownership of a vehicle. A title must be obtained when an individual purchases a new vehicle. A title transfer must also be completed when a used vehicle is sold or gifted, or when a vehicle changes hands as a result of the death of the vehicle's owner. In Texas, a vehicle should be registered and titled in the buyer's name in 20 business days to avoid penalties.
OBTAINING A TITLE FOR A NEW VEHICLE:
For new vehicles, the licensed dealer that sold the vehicle is required to accept and submit the required titling information and fees on behalf of the buyer. Ensure that you receive the receipt for the title with your name from the dealer within 20 business days. Those interested in applying for a new title should refer to the Vehicle Titles Overview page and the Vehicle Titles and Registration Frequently Asked Questions on the Texas Department of Transportation website.
TRANSFERRING A TITLE ON A USED VEHICLE:
Sale/Purchase or Gift of a Used Vehicle
When you purchase a used vehicle, or obtain one as a gift, the title must be legally transferred into your name. This is done by obtaining the following documents, and submitting them along with the appropriate fees to your local County Tax-Assessor Collector's Office:
- The current title, with the assignment completed by the seller or donor (signing the title over to you). The title must include the federal odometer disclosure, if the vehicle is less than ten years old.
- If the title does not indicate the date of sale and selling price, a completed Bill of Sale, signed by both current and new owner and notarized, is required.
- An Odometer Disclosure Statement, if the title does not include this information and the vehicle is less than ten years old.
- A Vehicle Title Application signed by the seller.
- Vehicle registration receipt from the seller.
- If applicable, the original or copy of the vehicle's financing statement or security agreement.
- Proof of liability insurance coverage.
TxDOT Vehicle Titles and Registration Division PO Box 26417 Austin, TX 78755-0417
FeesAlong with the appropriate transfer of title documents above, the buyer will need to submit the following fees:
- 6.25% motor vehicle sales tax on the purchase price or the standard presumptive value.
- Title transfer, registration, and local fees which depend on the County Tax-Assessor Collector's Office.
Transfer of Title Following Death of Vehicle OwnerIn the event of the death of the vehicle owner, the title is often transferred to the heirs or someone else identified in the owner's will. The procedures and fees for this type of transfer are similar to those outlined above. In addition, it is important to determine how the estate of the deceased has been settled by the heir(s). In some cases, the heirs may need to complete an Affidavit of Heirship, and provide copies of both the death certificate and the will (or a notarized statement of its contents), if there is one. For more information on title transfers following the death of a vehicle owner, contact the local Vehicles and Titles Office, or call 512-465-7611.
SubmissionAppropriate title transfer documents and fees should be submitted to the County Tax-Assessor Collector's Office.
- Contact the local County Tax-Assessor Collector's Office if you wish to add, remove, or change a name on a vehicle title for reason other than those discussed above.
- If there is an existing lien on the vehicle, there will be additional requirements for transferring the title. Contact the local County Tax-Assessor Collector's Office for more information.
- A valid title provides proof of ownership of the vehicle. However, remember that a title transfer does not entitle the new owner(s) to legally operate the vehicle. For this, refer to the appropriate license and registration information.