Title Transfers or obtaining a New Certificate of Title in Arkansas
A certificate of title issued by the state of Arkansas is a document that proves legal ownership of a vehicle. A title must be obtained when an individual purchases a new vehicle. A title transfer must also be completed when a used vehicle is sold or gifted, or when a vehicle changes hands as a result of the death of the vehicle's owner. In Arkansas, vehicles must be titled within 30 days of purchase.
OBTAINING A TITLE FOR A NEW VEHICLE:
For new vehicles, the licensed dealer that sold the vehicle typically will accept and submit the required titling information and fees on behalf of the buyer. However, buyers wishing to handle the titling independently can do so. Those interested in applying for a new title without the dealer's assistance should refer to the Tags and Titles Information page on the Department of Finance and Administration (DFA) website.
TRANSFERRING A TITLE ON A USED VEHICLE:
Sale/Purchase or Gift of a Used Vehicle
When you purchase a used vehicle, or obtain one as a gift, the title must be legally transferred into your name. This is done by obtaining the following documents, and submitting them along with the appropriate fees to the Office of Motor Vehicles:
- The current title, with the assignment completed by the seller or donor (signing the title over to you). The title must include the federal odometer disclosure, if the vehicle is less than ten years old.
- A completed Bill of Sale, signed by both current and new owner and notarized, is required.
- An Odometer Disclosure Statement, if the title does not include this information and the vehicle is less than ten years old.
- A completed Title Application form, if required.
- If applicable, the original or copy of the vehicle's financing statement or security agreement.
- Proof of liability insurance coverage.
- Property tax receipt or other proof of payment of property tax.
- Certificate of Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) verification done by an authorized person, for salvage vehicles previously titled outside Arkansas.
FeesAlong with the appropriate transfer of title documents above, you will need to submit the following fees:
- $5 title fee.
- $1 tag transfer fee. if applicable.
- $0.50 lien filing fee, if applicable.
- Sales and use tax of 6% (7% for Texarkana residents) of the taxable purchase price, if the gross purchase price is equal to or exceeds $2500.
- Local taxes may be applicable depending on the city or county of residence.
Transfer of Title Following Death of Vehicle OwnerIn the event of the death of the vehicle owner, the title is often transferred to the heirs or someone else identified in the owner's will. The procedures and fees for this type of transfer are similar to those outlined above. In addition, it is important to determine how the estate of the deceased has been settled by the heir(s). In some cases, the heirs may need to complete an Affidavit of Inheritance, and provide copies of both the death certificate and the will (or a notarized statement of its contents), if there is one. For more information on title transfers following the death of a vehicle owner, contact the state revenue office, or call the Office of Motor Vehicles at (501) 682 4630.
SubmissionAppropriate title transfer documents and fees should be submitted to the state revenue office.
- Contact the local revenue office if you wish to add, remove or change a name on a vehicle title for reason other than those discussed above.
- If there is an existing lien on the vehicle, there will be additional requirements for transferring the title.
- A valid title provides proof of ownership of the vehicle. However, remember that a title transfer does not entitle the new owner(s) to legally operate the vehicle. For this, refer to the appropriate license and registration information.