is a privately owned website. Privacy

Name Change

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

Whether you have recently gotten married, been adopted, legally changed your name, or finalized a divorce, you will be required to apply for a DMV name change on the following documents:

  • Driver's license
  • Vehicle registration
  • Car title
Choose state:  

How to Change Your Name with the SSA

Prior to changing your name with the DMV, you will first need to apply for an official name change with the Social Security Administration. To complete the process in person, simply visit an SSA office and bring the following:

  • A completed Application for a Social Security Card
  • Proof of ID:
    • Drivers license
    • US passport
  • Proof of legal presence:
    • US birth certificate
    • Permanent Resident Card
  • Proof of name change:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Divorce decree
    • Court order

To apply by mail, drivers must submit the above documents to a local office, along with a completed Application for a Social Security Card.

Why is it Important To Request a Name Change?

Applicants are required to request a name change with the DMV so that all of their information is correct and remains up to date. Take the appropriate steps to change name on DMV documents by visiting your local drivers license office and presenting proof of legal name change, your old driver's license and paying the license replacement fee. Once your name change has been processed through your state's DMV, you will be issued a new license, which may also include a change of address. Drivers may be required to provide proof of citizenship or legal presence in order to renew, duplicate or replace a driver's license.