is a privately owned website.* Privacy

How to Handle a Change of Address in California

If you are a California resident and have changed addresses or plan to do so in the near future, you must have the address information updated on your license, vehicle registration and title certificate. You are also required to notify your insurance provider of your new address.


You must notify the California Department of Motor Vehicles of a change in address within 10 days of moving to a new residence, and to obtain a replacement driver license. Reporting a change of address to your DMV office is simple, and can be done in person, via mail, or online. If you are a commercial license holder, apply in person at your local driver license office.

Reporting an address change in person:

  1. Locate the DMV office nearest to you.
  2. Bring your current license, vehicle registration number and social security number along with proper identification to prove your citizenship or legal presence.
  3. Fill the Change of Address Form (DMV 14).
  4. The change of address is free of charge if applied for a change of address certificate card. If you want a license with the new address then you must apply for a duplicate license that will cost you $28.
  5. You will receive a Change of Address Sticker.

Reporting an address change by mail:

  1. Complete the change of address form and mail it to the following address:
    DMV Change of Address
    P O Box 942859
    Sacramento, CA 94259-0001    
  2. The change is made free of charge.
  3. Your change of address sticker to be affixed to the back of your license will arrive via mail.
  4. Until you receive the same, you must write the new address, sign and date it and keep it along with the license and not tape it or staple it to the license.

Reporting an address change via the Internet:

  1. You can report a change of address online by visiting GoRenew and following the instructions carefully.
  2. The change can be made free of charge.
  3. You will require your latest driver license or ID card, vehicle registration number, social security number and details of the old and new address and if the vehicle is leased then the name of the leasing company.
  4. It takes three business days for the records to be updated in the DMV office and you can verify the transaction after three days by choosing the option - 'Check Status Update'.
  5. You must keep in mind that if you use this option then renewal of the license must be made in person only.


  1. You must notify your DMV office of a change of address and have this information updated on your California Vehicle Title and Registration certificate. This must be done within 10 days of moving to a new address, since this will allow you to receive your renewal notice and any other correspondence in a timely fashion.
  2. You can either report the change of address in person by visiting your DMV office, or via mail, and your records will be updated at no charge. You can also choose to report the change of address online for free. All major credit cards are accepted.


  1. You must also notify your insurance provider of your change of address, so that you receive timely information regarding due dates for payments, renewals, and other communication.
  2. To save time and money, some California drivers who change addresses choose to obtain a free quote for new auto insurance instead of changing the address with their current insurance provider. Not only does this save the hassle of contacting and notifying the current insurance company, but it could potentially save hundreds of dollars by identifying companies that offer lower rates and/or better coverage.


Submitted by dnieder on 16th Oct 2016

What is the process if I have

What is the process if I have a valid NVDL, have recently moved here, need to get a CADL, but do not have a vehicle, or car insurance?

Submitted by Piratebabe (not verified) on 26th Jul 2012

I had an appointment way back

I had an appointment way back in May because I had a change of address. I was told that they would use my last photo for a new CDL,but I never received it. So I would like to make an appointment to have my photo done and put on a new drivers license.

Submitted by over it (not verified) on 27th May 2011

Dmv is a joke! I sent in my

Dmv is a joke! I sent in my registration renewal payment at the beginning of march, from my current address, they sent my stickers to a house I haven't lived in for 2 years! I went to change my address online and I can't. It's funny how they send the bill to the right address but they can't figure out how to send my stickers to the same address they sent the bill to. FAILURES!!!

Submitted by dmcdonald (not verified) on 2nd Jun 2011

I have been waiting for my

I have been waiting for my license for 2 months and still have not recieved it. The mailman sent it back to the DMV! now I can't change the address online or talk to anyone at the DMV to have it resent to my house. PATHETIC! You can't cash your employment checks without ID so thanks for the paper one that I cannot use!!!!!!

Submitted by pjandqc (not verified) on 30th Jun 2011

My daughter took the drivers

My daughter took the drivers test in Nov 2010 called in Jan they said the postman sent it back and that they were resending it now its July 2011. Still no drivers license she is going to just go pay 30 dollars and have it sent to another address and hopefully she will finally get it she is 18 and in college and she really need it to drive with the temp has expired twice already its not the postman its the dmv.

Submitted by Anonymous on 2nd Feb 2011

i bought a id card and never

i bought a id card and never received it , i have a new address also...

Submitted by mmblue (not verified) on 25th Jan 2011

I paid for my license but

I paid for my license but have not recieved it in the mail how do I check if they have the correct address.