In order to change your address on your California drivers license, you need to complete a number of important steps when applying. In order to simplify the process, you will need to gather the necessary documents, calculate your required fee payment before being able to change your address on your California drivers license. Online assistance can help you complete all of these steps quickly and easily by providing you with all of the information you need to know about replacing your license. Start simplifying your application process today.
2. By Mail
Rather than get ahead with online assistance and services, some California residents prefer to handle their DMV transactions via mail. Drivers can complete a few different procedures by mail, but payment methods are restricted, and the transactions have inconvenient and lengthy turnaround times for results.
3. Via a DMV Office
Certain transactions must be completed in person at a California DMV office. However, before visiting a local branch, be sure to verify that the location offers the service you require. Not all DMV procedures can be completed at every location. Additionally, note that wait times are typically lengthy. So make sure to take advantage of online assistance to prepare for your visit.
If you are a California resident and have changed addresses or plan to do so in the near future, you must have the address information updated on your license, vehicle registration and title certificate. You are also required to notify your insurance provider of your new address.
REPORTING A CHANGE OF ADDRESS TO THE DRIVER LICENSE DIVISION
You must notify the California Department of Motor Vehicles of a change in address within 10 days of moving to a new residence, and to obtain a replacement driver license. Reporting a change of address to your DMV office is simple, and can be done in person, via mail, or online. If you are a commercial license holder, apply in person at your local driver license office.
Reporting an address change in person:
- Locate the DMV office nearest to you.
- Bring your current license, vehicle registration number and social security number along with proper identification to prove your citizenship or legal presence.
- Fill the Change of Address Form (DMV 14).
- The change of address is free of charge if applied for a change of address certificate card. If you want a license with the new address then you must apply for a duplicate license that will cost you $28.
- You will receive a Change of Address Sticker.
Reporting an address change by mail:
- Complete the change of address form and mail it to the following address:
DMV Change of Address
P O Box 942859
Sacramento, CA 94259-0001
- The change is made free of charge.
- Your change of address sticker to be affixed to the back of your license will arrive via mail.
- Until you receive the same, you must write the new address, sign and date it and keep it along with the license and not tape it or staple it to the license.
Reporting an address change via the Internet:
- You can report a change of address online by visiting GoRenew and following the instructions carefully.
- The change can be made free of charge.
- You will require your latest driver license or ID card, vehicle registration number, social security number and details of the old and new address and if the vehicle is leased then the name of the leasing company.
- It takes three business days for the records to be updated in the DMV office and you can verify the transaction after three days by choosing the option - 'Check Status Update'.
- You must keep in mind that if you use this option then renewal of the license must be made in person only.
ADDRESS CHANGE ON YOUR VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATION
- You must notify your DMV office of a change of address and have this information updated on your California Vehicle Title and Registration certificate. This must be done within 10 days of moving to a new address, since this will allow you to receive your renewal notice and any other correspondence in a timely fashion.
- You can either report the change of address in person by visiting your DMV office, or via mail, and your records will be updated at no charge. You can also choose to report the change of address online for free. All major credit cards are accepted.
NOTIFYING YOUR INSURANCE SERVICE PROVIDER OF AN ADDRESS CHANGE
- You must also notify your insurance provider of your change of address, so that you receive timely information regarding due dates for payments, renewals, and other communication.
- To save time and money, some California drivers who change addresses choose to obtain a free quote for new auto insurance instead of changing the address with their current insurance provider. Not only does this save the hassle of contacting and notifying the current insurance company, but it could potentially save hundreds of dollars by identifying companies that offer lower rates and/or better coverage.
- If you are a non-US citizen residing in California, and wish to have your address updated on your license, you must apply in person at a DMV Office. Please remember to bring appropriate proof of legal presence.
- For related information, see Replacing Your Driver License, Replacing Your Vehicle Title, and Vehicle Registration.
- Your may also wish to change your address on your California voter registration.